Two welterweights coming off vicious KO losses have been booked against each other. The UFC announced (via the Las Vegas Sun) the addition of Mike Pyle versus T.J. Waldburger to its UFC 170 lineup this February in Las Vegas:
Pyle (25-9-1) previously had a 4 fight winning streak (and 7 wins out of 8 overall), with 3 of those wins coming by KO or TKO, which upped his career knockout total from 2 to 5. His upset win over Rick Story, which gave him his 4th straight win, was followed by a big fight against Matt Brown at UFC Fight Night 26. The 38-year-old's attempt at a 5th win was ended in 29 seconds as he was knocked out cold by
the MMA Fighting editor Brown.
Waldburger (16-8) is a submission specialist out of Texas who has been in professional MMA since 17. The 25-year-old fought in his home state at UFC 166 against Adlan Amagov but was completely overwhelmed by Amagov's power and knocked out in just 3 minutes. The KO was serious enough that he was stretchered out of the cage for precautionary reasons.
Not that this shouldn't be a fight largely contested on the ground, but neither one of these men is known for their chins. Pyle has been knocked out 4 times in 9 losses, while Waldburger has suffered the same fate 6 out of 8 times. Waldburger is particularly concerning considering he's only 25 and has been KO'd at an exceptionally high rate.
- Duane Ludwig predicts a clean sweep for four Team Alpha Male fighters at UFC on Fox 9
- How's Taste My Tweet Tweet? Dana White vs. Ignorant Mainstream Media, Jon Jones vs. Dolphins
- "Victory Athletics" Victory Air Thai Pads Review
- Dana White poo-poos GSP announcement, admits he 'had a meltdown' at UFC 168 presser
- EA Sports UFC cover reveal video: Will it be Georges St-Pierre or Alexander Gustafsson?