There's been a lot of controversy about UFC Welterweight champ Georges St-Pierre and his long run of 5 round decision wins. Much of the fan opprobrium has been hurled at GSP's sometimes trainer and cornerman Greg Jackson. Team Jackson MMA fighter Tim Kennedy has an issue with that and told MMA Mania's Matt Roth all about it:
"Even when they said it, it was ridiculous. Totally unfounded. If you look at the past ten fights. The fighters that have won the "submission of the night", the "knockout of the night", and "fight of the night" bonuses are almost exclusively Jackson guys," Kennedy said.
"In my last fight camp, it was me, Rustam (Khabilov), Adlan (Amagov), and (Donald) Cerrone, all in fight camp at the same time. All of us fighting three weeks apart and all of us had a 'knockout of the night' or 'fight of the night.' Then you look at Firas (Zahabi) and you look at Rory MacDonald.
"I remember when (MacDonald) fought Nate Diaz and it was extreme grappling, vicious strikes. That guy was scary. Now we're two years removed from that fight and the transition is now a guy jabbing from the outside. Not even in volume. It's just horrible. It's so boring."
Fans will certainly have a hard time blaming Jackson for GSP's performance against Johny Hendricks given that Jackson was no where to be seen in his corner or on the pre-fight TV specials.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Knuckle Up #442: The onslaught of continued douchechills courtesy of GSP, Pacquiao-Rios + Victory: Again
- Jon Jones wants a superfight with Cain Velasquez in 2014
- BE's Baddest MMA Greatest of All Time Tournament: #1 Jon Jones vs #5 Shogun Rua
- Pacquiao's Next Fight: Manny targets April or May 2014 return, hopes for Floyd Mayweather bout
- My Outrage Over Video of Young Boy Wrestling Bear