Brazilian jiu-jitsu and MMA legend Renzo Gracie has a lot of confidence in the skills of his student Chris Weidman. Sure Weidman is the UFC Middleweight champ after upsetting Anderson Silva at UFC 162, but still, most pundits don't expect him to have the grappling edge on Silva.
Renzo, however, he has no doubt. Here's what he told Ariel Helwani on The MMA Hour:
"He will submit him," Gracie told Ariel Helwani. "I do believe he's going to submit him, yes. He's getting better every day. If Anderson doesn't improve his ground game, he will be in trouble this time.
"I like Anderson a lot, he's an unbelievable champion," he said. "It's going to be a tough fight, but Weidman is the one for that task. If Anderson is not that careful, (Weidman) is going to take Anderson down and submit him."
Weidman did go for a leg lock against Silva in their first bout but didn't come close to making Anderson tap.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Miesha Tate 'upsets' Ronda Rousey, looks hot and advocates Muffvember
- Dana White responds to Jon Jones' complaints over title contender fight schedules: 'You're not a matchmaker'
- UFN 31 Judo Chop: Rustam Khabilov's Spinning Hook Kick
- MMA brain injuries, potential solutions, and why the concussion debate needs a makeover
- UFC 167: Jason High discusses UFC 20th anniversary, TRT & Richie Incognito