Multi-division UFC title contender Chael Sonnen spoke at a fan Q&A in Manchester, England before last Saturday's UFC Fight Night 30. He spoke his mind about the UFC 166 Heavyweight title fight between Cain Velasquez and Junior dos Santos which ended via TKO in the 5th round:
"Junior Dos Santos' cornerman needs to be cut, period," said Sonnen. "That was beyond inappropriate, that they sent him back out there. The doctor comes in twice, what that doctor was looking for I have no idea. The referee didn't stop the fight, though he should have. Ultimately it defaults to your cornerman, who you trust, who is like a father figure, and that guy let Junior Dos Santos down, period. The commission licenses these cornermen. I don't have the foggiest idea why; I guess just to take their $25. That should be the first cornerman that's suspended, that was beyond wrong what he did."
"You do not stop the fight when your fighter can no longer continue. You stop the fight when your fighter can no longer win. The second your guy can't win, you get him out of there. That fight should have been stopped way earlier. It knocked years off Junior's life and career, that cornerman should be fired."
UFC president Dana White has also said that the fight should have been stopped earlier. Dos Santos later admitted he couldn't remember anything after the second round of the bout.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- After UFC 167 Donald Cerrone wants B.J. Penn at Featherweight
- BE's Baddest MMA Greatest of All Time Tournament: #2 Wanderlei Silva vs #7 Lyoto Machida
- UFC 167's Robert Drysdale denied fight license by NSAC for elevated testosterone
- UFC Fight Night 30 referee Marc Goddard stands by Guillard vs. Pearson stoppage
- UFC fighter rankings: Lyoto Machida ranked in two divisions