Former WEC bantamweight champion Miguel Torres has not had a very good year so far, and a first-round submission loss to Pablo Alfonso at World Series of Fighting 6 certainly didn't help. But in a post on his Facebook page, he says that a strange decision made by the referee just prior to the start of his undercard bout messed with his focus. He entered the cage wearing spats, but was told by the ref that they weren't allowed and he had to go change into shorts immediately. Here's his explanation:
Was told bycould wear my spats, got my knee brace approved by commission, felt great and was on point warming up. Was in blue corner and was already in the cage about to fight then told by ref I had to leave and change into shorts. Had to sprint 100 yards there, look for shorts, then sprint back. Was not expecting that, threw my mind off and I didn't execute in my fight. I apologize to all my training partners and students and especially my daughter. I make no excuse and take this lose personally and with full responsibility, I am better than what I showed today. Congrats to Pablo and his team, may they enjoy their night. See everyone in the gym on Monday, so sorry everyone.
Torres (40-7) has now lost three fights in a row and is 0-2 in World Series of Fighting. The loss was just the second time he's been submitted in 47 career fights.