Now that UFC Heavyweight champ Cain Velasquez has utterly crushed Junior dos Santos, the only man to ever beat him, speculation is arising as to who can challenge the champ. Some have turned their thoughts to the man ranked #3 in the division after Cain and JDS, Daniel Cormier.
Unfortunately for fantasy fight fans, Cormier trains with Cain at the American Kickboxing Academy and is moving down to Light Heavyweight rather than fight his friend.
"[Cormier] is not a true heavyweight. He might be 225, 230 soaking wet. He's not a heavyweight. He's so good as an athlete and a fighter that he can get away with beating heavyweights up, but he's not a true heavyweight. Just based on size, you have two guys who are equally skilled, equal work ethic, equal punching power, equal everything, you're going to put your money on the guy who weighs more."
Transcribed via MMA Mania.
Fitch fights Marcelo Alfaya at World Series of Fighting 6 this Saturday.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- UFC Fight Night 30: Ross Pearson 'I'm the best me I could ever wish for'
- UFC Fight Night 30: Facebook preliminary card previews and prognostications Part 1
- Dana White announces TUF: Brazil 3 coaches - Chael Sonnen vs. Wanderlei Silva
- Coach: Daniel Cormier came to play chess, Roy Nelson came to play checkers at UFC 166
- World Series of Fighting 6 fight card: Burkman vs. Carl