Hello lineal title fans. With some exciting unification bouts on the horizon for the month of October, I thought I'd put together a quick post to run down the fights ahead.
|Upcoming Unification Bouts||#||Date|
|Fernandes vs. Kim||5 titles||18-Oct|
|Velasquez vs. JDS||26 titles||19-Oct|
|GSP vs. Hendricks||25 titles||16-Nov|
|Vegh vs. Newton/Mo||3 titles||TBD|
|Cruz vs. Barao||6 titles||TBD|
|Other Titles on the Line||#||Date|
|Erick Silva vs Dong Hyun Kim||1 title||9-Oct|
|Cormier vs. Nelson||1 title||19-Oct|
|Moraes vs Beebe||4 titles||26-Oct|
|Newton vs. King Mo||1 title||2-Nov|
|Chandler vs Alvarez||1 title||2-Nov|
|Curran vs Straus||4 titles||2-Nov|
|Markes vs. Romero||1 title||6-Nov|
|Tim Elliott vs. Ali Bagautinov||1 title||16-Nov|
|Corassani vs Maximo Blanco||4 titles||30-Nov|
|Matt Brown vs. Carlos Condit||2 titles||14-Dec|
|Mendes vs Lentz||1 title||14-Dec|
Lets start with the big unification bouts in October.
1. GSP will put his 19 lineal titles on the line against Hendricks' 6. The winner will boast an impressive 76% unification of major WW titles while bringing the follow lineal belts together:
UFC, Dream, Deep, Shooto, Pancrase, KOTC, MFC, Ring of Combat, Tachi Palace, Gladiator Challenge, Cage Warrior, Cage Fury, Sport Fight, Strikeforce, WEC, EliteXC, Cage Rage, TKO, Icon Sport, Bodog, Rumble on the Rock, WFA, Spirt MC, Ironheart Crown, and Shark Fights
2. Cain will attempt to add one more lineal title to his already impressive list of 25. JDS brings the PWP title into the mix with his win over Mark Hunt. The winner will have a unification percentage of 79.
3. Bibiano Fernandes (although already the interim champ) will have a chance to add another lineal title to his collection when he takes on Kim. The winner walks away with 5 lineal belts including:
ONE FC, Dream, Deep, CFC, and Sport Fight
The winner will also have the distinction of holding the most lineal belts in the Bantamweight class, pulling them even with Dominick Cruz. The injured UFC bantamweight king will himself have a chance to add a 6th title once he finally gets healthy and takes on Barao for his Tachi Palace lineal title.
The remaining lineal title mach ups are not unification bouts, but worth mentioning nonetheless. First, Silva will put his Legacy FC WW lineal title on the line against Kim. Then, Nelson will try to take the lineal HW XMMA belt from Cormier. This, after losing his own UCMMA HW belt to Stipe the last time out. Lastly, WSOF standout Moraes will put his 4 belts on the line against Beebe. The BW titles included are Bellator, Legacy FC, EliteXC, and Icon Sport.
Lastly, lets take a look at the current Lineal Leaderboard:
|#||Name||# of Titles||Unify|
|3||George St. Piere||19||58%|
|10||Eight fighters tied with 2 titles||2|
The biggest change came after Carmont won 5 MW lineal titles in a unification bout with Costas (Bellator, CFC, UCMMA, BAMMA, PWP). This ties Carmont with the likes of Vitor Belfort, Dominick Cruz, and Mighty Mouse.
- I only include bouts contested at the given weightclass
- All titles can be traced back to the original belt issued by the given promotion
- GSPs WW Shooto belt is the 3rd iteration of the title. The first two were not reliably contested at WW. Accepts DQ win by Okami over Anderson Silva at 175 lbs, otherwise, the belt still belongs to Silva as he has never competed at WW since
- Johny Hendrix's Pancrase belt is the 2nd iteration. The 1st was not reliably contested at WW
- Johny Hendrix's Ring of Combat belt is the 2nd iteration, 1st was never contested again at WW
- Both Moraes's EliteXC and Icon Sport titles were originally contested at 140 lbs, but I list them as BW because that's the path they have followed