Former UFC Welterweight Rousimar Palhares got cut from the organization and suspended by the Brazilian commission for 120 days for holding a heel hook on Mike Pierce at UFC Fight Night 29 after the ref tapped him to stop. Now Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney weighs in, telling TMZ he won't sign Palhares and going on to elaborate:
"Risks already exist for the courageous, world class fighters who enter the Bellator cage; without adding further unnecessary risks into the mix.
"Fighter safety is paramount to me and my team."
Palhares' odd inability to control his actions has seemingly destroyed his MMA career. World Series of Fighting and One FC are the only other big promotions out there, we'll see if either one of them is interested in the popular but much feared submission specialist.
More from Bloody Elbow:
- Heavyweights dominate the UFC 164 payroll
- How to Watch Bradley vs Marquez PPV: Live stream, fight time, results, fight card, and live fight online schedule
- UFC fighter rankings: 170-pound division sees some changes
- Legacy FC 24 results and highlights: Holly Holm destroys Nikki Knudsen
- Bellator 103 Results & highlights: Pitbull, Wilcox advance, Rickels wins