Bored at work? Bored period? Couldn't afford the PPV this week end, don't get Fuel and Showtime and need a fight fix? Just feel like watching some fights? I've got your back.
Welcome to the Youtube guide for the fight fan. Youtube is a fantastic tool, and contrary to what you might believe at first glance isn't just cute cat videos and covers of the Super Mario theme, there's actually an incredible number of fights out there waiting for you. The problem is finding them. Once again, I got you covered, I used my Youtube-Fu skills for the greater good and compiled some of the best Youtube channels in this post.
Whether you're a striking or grappling fan, between the boxing, kickboxing, Muay Thai, Judo, grappling, Karate, wrestling, Savate and of course MMA, there's something for you here (and for those of you that find real fights boring and didn't care about the UFC until a blond giant with a phallic chest tattoo became HW champ, there's even a little bit of pro wrestling). Without further ado and in the immortal words of Big John McCarthy, let's get it on!
Well, our first one isn't really a channel, but BE member Head-splitter just posted a playlist with 43 of the legal UFC, WEC and Pride fights on Youtube and saved me a lot of work.
He also once again proved to be a man of great taste (he once called me a kickboxing expert, proving that flattery, if anything, can at least land you the first spot on a Youtube channels list) by having a playlist of fights of my favorite fighter ever, Genki Sudo.
It appears these days that Bellator isn't exactly the paradise land where title shots are earned, not given and the fighters come first that Bjorn Rebney wants you to believe it is. Contracts practices aside, Bellator has some exciting fights and their channel brings you highlights from their events and a few of their best fights in full (most notably Alvarez vs Chandler).
Our next stop is Brazil, if you ever find yourself looking for footage of a Brazilian fighter, the CombateMMA channel is probably your best bet.
We'll still be staying mostly in Brazil with the official page of the french version of FightSport magazine which contains full fights videos (with French commentary) from:
- Meca World 11, 12 (Jose Aldo, Gleison Tibau, Evangelista Cyborg)
- Jungle fight 1-5 (Lyoto Machida, Jacare, Fabricio Werdum, Bibiano Fernandes, Jose Pele Landi, Alexander Schlemenko)
- IVC 1-9 (Wanderlei Silva, Babalu, Jose Pele Landi)
- M1 Global Breakthrough (Karl Amoussou, King Mo) along with Fedor's fights in Affliction and a few Pride fights (Cro Cop, Shogun, Wanderlei, Vovchanchyn)
We're back to the US with the official channel of Midwest local Promotion Legends of Fighting Championships.
Still in the US, the Tachi Palace Fights official channel offers a few of their fights (including the McCall-Formiga fight).
To conclude our tour of the local US scene, this channel features plenty of local MMA and grappling fights along with a few instructionals.
We'll know cross the pond with the Ultimate Challenge MMA official channel (features fights of LHW prospect Jimi Manuwa who will debut in the UFC this week end against TUF veteran Kyle Kingsbury).
We'll stick to the UK for the BAMMA official channel (whose MW champion Tom "Kong" Watson will also make his UFC debut this week end against a former TUF competitor in Brad Tavares).
We're now in Hong Kong with the Legend FC official channel, and its Fight Night Fridays.
The official channel of Philippines based promotion OneFC.
SUPA FITE LEEG's channel, has some fights from their shows and their own version of TUF called SFL: Challengers.
Some fights from SFL, OneFC and Legacy FC.
This one (and the two other channels from this user but I'll get to that) is great. Plenty of early MMA, it includes:
- Genki Sudo being awesome at a grappling tournament.
- Fedor's MMA debut.
- 14 of Igor Vovchanchyn's pre-Pride fights (including his execution of Adilson Lima).
- Most of Rickson Gracie's MMA career (and his second Vale Tudo fight with Zulu in 1984)
- 7 of Anderson Silva's early fights (including his first loss and his fight with Sakurai)
- 4 of Randy Couture's fights in Japan.
- 4 of Wanderlei Silva's Vale Tudo fights.
- 5 of Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira's fights in Rings (including his first fight with Dan Henderson).
- 7 fights of Jose Pele Landi (including his fights with Lidell, Hughes and Miletich)
- Jorge "Macaco" Patino Vale Tudo fights (unfortunately, not his fights with Pele).
- A lot of Shooto (Caol Uno, Jens Pulver, Rumina Sato, Hayato Sakurai)
- Melvin Manhoef's brutal war with Evangelista Cyborg.
- Pancrace Road to Championship 3 (Ken Shamrock vs Bas Rutten)
- Absolute Fighting Championship 3 (8 man tournament with Igor Vovchanchyn)
- K-1 Hercules 95 (Andy Hug vs Jérôme Le Banner, Peter Aerts vs Mike Bernardo)
- K-1 Star Wars 96 (Jérôme Le Banner vs Ernesto Hoost, Andy Hug vs Masaaki Satake, Peter Aerts vs Mike Bernardo)
- K-2 Tournament (Ernesto Hoost)
- Cro Cop's K-1 debut against Le Banner.
- A 15 years old Mike Tyson.
- A few pro wrestling matches of Kazushi Sakuraba in UWFI (including his alleged first shoot fight).
Different channel, same user:
- Anderson Silva's pro debut.
- More fights from Pele (including his crazy 2nd fight with Macaco)
- Shooto events in parts and fights from Uno, Sato, Sakurai, Gono and Carlos Newton.
- A few Jens Pulver fights (including his fights with a 17 years old Joe Stevenson)
- Bas Rutten vs Frank Lobman in Muay Thai.
- Two fights from Full Contact legend Benny "The Jet" Urquidez under Japanese kickboxing rules (Beautiful finishes).
- Frank Shamrock vs Enson Inoue.
- Fights from BTT founders Mario Sperry and Murilo Bustamante.
Still the same user, this one still has some MMA fights but is more focused on kickboxing:
- Yves Edwards' fights with Aaron Riley.
- Yuki Nakai's run in Vale Tudo Japan 95.
- 2 Genki Sudo fights.
- Randy Couture vs Jeremy Horn in Rings.
- 4 of Frank Shamrock's Pancrase fights (Rutten 1 and 3, Kondo and Tamura).
- Renzo Gracie vs Eugenio Tadeu.
- A few more Pele fights.
- A few more Sato fights (and a highlight of his fights in Combat Wrestling competitions).
- Vitor Belfort's pro debut.
- Rick Roufus' Full Contact fights with Ernesto Hoost and Rob Kaman.
- Peter Aerts' 3 fights with Frank Lobman and the last two of his 5 fights with Hoost.
- Buakaw's pro debut.
- Mark Hunt's K-1 fights with Ray Sefo, Cro Cop, and Francisco Filho and his second fight with Le Banner.
- Rob Kaman vs Ernesto Hoost 2.
- K-1 Holland: Night of the Stars tournament.
- 2 K-1 and 2 very early (1983) Kyokushin fights of Andy Hug.
- The Dekkers vs Coban tetralogy.
Another good one with non-UFC or Pride fights (mostly Pancrase) of some name fighters:
- 9 Chael Sonnen fights.
- 24 Renato "Babalu" Sobral fights.
- 3 Pat Miletich fights.
- 2 Nate Diaz fights.
- 12 of Semmy Schilt's MMA fights.
- 18 Frank Shamrock fights (including the 3 fights with Bas Rutten.
- 6 Akiyama fights.
- 5 Gilbert Melendez fights (Guida, Thomson 1, Ishida 1).
- 6 Satoshi Ishii fights.
- Fights from Pancrase founders Masakatsu Funaki and Minoru Suzuki.
And we'll conclude the MMA part of this post with a channel focusing on the smaller japanese promotions:
- Fights from Shooto, Deep, ZST (Satoru Kitaoka, Katsunori Kikuno, Rumina Sato, Hideo Tokoro).
- Submission grappling matches (Caol Uno vs Genki Sudo, Gomi, Kid Yamamoto and even 2 tag team matches).
A goldmine, lots of old school boxing fights including names like:
- Muhammad Ali
- Sugar Ray Robinson
- Joe Louis
- Roberto Duran
- Willie Pep
- Archie Moore
- Joe Frazier
- Rocky Marciano
- George Foreman
- Sonny Liston.
- Carmen Basilio
- Wilfred Benitez
- Floyd Patterson and many more. If you're even remotely interested in boxing this one is a must subscribe.
Another goldmine (611 videos):
- Joe Calzaghe
- Manny Pacquiao
- James Toney (if you only know him from his fight with Randy please check him out. he deserves the ridicule he got for his MMA performance and comments but it's a shame that most MMA fans know him only for that. He was a really great boxer).
- Marcel Cerdan
- Lennox Lewis
- Roy Jones Jr
- Sugar Ray Robinson and countless others.
Added on oct. 1 2012:
Great channel (1170 videos).
Pro boxing fights and documentaries:
- Sergio Martinez
- Marvin Hagler
- Floyd Mayweather Jr
- Pernell Whitaker
- James Toney
- Carmen Basilio
- Wilfred Benitez
- Jake LaMotta
- Joe Louis
- Sugar Ray Leonard.
Whatever you may think of Floyd Mayweather Jr outside of the ring, there's no denying that the man is a genius inside of it. You'll find most of his pro fights and a couple from his amateur days including 3 from his 1996 Olympic run on this channel.
About 150 pro fights (notably 10 of Juan Manuel Marquez' early fights).
Another one with about 150 fights:
- Chavez Sr vs Taylor 1
- Thomas Hearns
- Gatti vs Ward trilogy
- Roy Jones Jr
- Bernard Hopkins
- Oscar De La Hoya
- Pernell Whitaker
- Morales vs Barrera 1
- Prince Naseem Hamed among others.
The AIBA official channel. The AIBA has showed in the last Olympics what a joke they are (special mention to robbing Alexis Vastine two Olympics in a row and likely driving him away from the sport) and I'll leave it at that. Still, it's not the boxers fault and some fights and fighters (Vasyl Lomachenko) on their channel are worth checking out.
- Fights from Olympic qualifying tournaments, European championships and 2011 World championships.
The World Series of Boxing is a team based competition featuring Amateur boxers in a ruleset closer to pro boxing.Fights are 5 rounds and judged under the 10 point must system and the boxers don't wear headgear. Their Youtube channel has all the events from their 2 seasons.
The reference for amateur boxing.
Mike Tyson fights (Quick knockouts) and highlights.
Pro boxing fights, mostly from the eastern European and Japanese scenes.
Training and sparring footage from some big names (Oscar De La Hoya, Pernell Whitaker, Roy Jones Jr, Julio Cesar Chavez Sr, Marco Antonio Barrera, Shane Mosley, Larry Holmes, Juan Manuel and Rafael Marquez).
Added on oct. 1 2012:
A lot of boxing documentaries and a few full fights:
- Gatti-Ward trilogy
- Whitaker-De La Hoya
- Bowe-Golota 1 and 2.
This one is an absolute must subscribe. It has hundreds of Muay Thai fights and is updated with new fights every day. Almost any notable fighter has at least one fight on this (and if they don't, there's a good chance that they will soon). Great, great channel.
Lots of Muay Thai fights from Thailand.
Muay Thai fights (Spong, Souwer; Yodsanklai, Saenchai, Anuwat, Attachai, Kraus) and a few full contact fights (including an excellent one between Sebastien Pace and Fouad Ezbiri).
Full Muay Thai events from Thailand
Krush 13, 17, 18 (maybe the most entertaining combat sport card of 2012)
Evolution 25 (Australian Muay Thai)
United Glory 15
Fights from Thailand.
K1's official channel. Tons of fights.
Lots of Japanese kickboxing highlights, and a few very good fights from Japanese promotion Krush.
This channel has all the fights of the Savate Boxing 8 event and some other Savate and Full Contact fights. The last three fights of the event are under the fairly new pro ruleset.
A channel with Savate and Full Contact fights along with a lot of training footage.
All the Kyokushin World championships, some of the All Japan championships, Akira Masuda and Shokei Matsui's Hyakunin Kumite (100 man kumite) some individual fights and instructionals.
2 World championships of the Kyokushin Matsushima branch and individual fights.
The full Kyokushin vs K1 event, Kyokushin fights from the 10th European championships.
Added on oct. 1 2012:
The WKF official channel.
IBJJF official channel.
ADCC 2009 and 2011 full events, Gracie Jiu Jitsu instructionals, Sambo instructionals, Muay Thai instructional by Rob Kaman, 6 episodes of the Human Weapon TV show (Muay Thai, Tae Kwon Do, Sambo, Ninjutsu, Eskrima, Marine Corp Martial Art).
Grapplers Quest official channel.
International Judo Federation official channel. Highlights and Livestreams from their events.
Probably more Judo matches (3750) than you could ever watch (and a lot less elfs than you'd expect).
Fila's official channel.
Some boxing fights, the 2008 Tae Kwon Do Olympic tournament, the 2012 European Karate championship, It's Showtime 55 and two 2012 Judo Grand Prix.
Your MMA and hat of the day brought to you by Kid Nate and Zombie Prophet.
BE Member RagingNoodle's Channel. It's pretty varied with Shooto, Pancrase, K-1 Hero's and boxing fights, pro wrestling matches and music.
Human Weapon full season.
As most of you likely guessed with my little dig at it in the intro, I'm not the biggest fan of pro wrestling. I got no problem with the fact that it's "fake", it's entertainment and after all I watched movies my whole life without being bothered by their fakeness. The problem is that:
- I didn't grow up watching it and thus have no emotional ties to it.
- It doesn't entertain me, which is problematic for something called sport entertainment that isn't actually a sport.
However, there's no point in denying that MMA and especially the Japanese scene has ties to pro wrestling.
The UWFI and the Japanese "shoot style" pro wrestling organizations in general are a extremely rare occurrence of something Japanese being less ridiculous than its foreign counterpart and a number of notable and less notable MMA fighters have participated in it at some point in their career. I included two channels featuring pro wrestling matches involving names like Kazushi Sakuraba, Kiyoshi Tamura, Josh Barnett, Bas Rutten, Akira Maeda (RINGS founder), Masakatsu Funaki, Minoru Suzuki, Nobuhiko Takada and a bunch of others pro wrestlers that fought in Pride at some point. Oh, and this happens:
I dont know about you but that's far more entertaining to me than what the WWE does.
I'll conclude this post with some little tips for searching fights:
- Set the search options to long videos to avoid highlights and interviews (works especially well for boxing).
- When you do find a fight, check the user's channel. There's a good chance that he's got more of them.
- Use the "search channel" option on the biggest ones.
If you know of any hidden gems, please share them in the comments (along with a short description of the content if possible) and I'll update the post with them. Thanks for reading and enjoy the fights!