Jul. 7, 2012; Las Vegas, NV, USA; UFC fighter Anderson Silva celebrates after defeating Chael Sonnen during a middleweight bout in UFC 148 at the MGM Grand Garden Arena. Mandatory Credit: Mark J. Rebilas-US PRESSWIRE
UFC middleweight champion Anderson Silva has taken some heat lately for apparently turning down a title defense against top prospect Chris Weidman. But according to Dana White, Anderson will still show up when he's needed. The champ offered to step up and fight at UFC 151 to save the event, but it was too late by then. MMA Fighting has the scoop:
Anderson Silva was close to saving UFC 151.
According to UFC president Dana White, Silva, the middleweight champion, personally called him just moments after he announced on Thursday that UFC 151 was canceled after Jon Jones turned down a fight against Chael Sonnen. Silva, who admitted he wasn't in the best shape, volunteered to fight on eight days' notice in Las Vegas against another light heavyweight fighter. Unfortunately, he was a few hours late as the promotion had already decided to scrap the event.
White said he never expected Silva to offer his services and appreciated the offer.
Anderson's camp has said that he'd prefer not to fight at 205 anymore, but it's pretty cool that he'd offer to step up either way. Who could he have possibly faced at light heavyweight? Jones was out of the question due to the mutual respect between the two men. It's a moot point now that the event has been cancelled, but imagine the possibilities. Jones will now meet Vitor Belfort for the UFC light heavyweight title at UFC 152.