Evolve MMA products Shinya Aoki and Zorobabel Moreira will both be in action at ONE FC 6 this October -- Photo by Anton Tabuena
ONE FC 5 is set to go down in two weeks in the Philippines, and officials behind the top Asian promotion have already announced their big plans for their 6th event.
On October 6, ONE Fighting Championship returns to their home-base of Singapore and it looks to be another promising event. The promotion announced a 'Super Fight' headliner between Shinya Aoki and Arnaud Lepont, along with the crowning of their first three divisional champions.
Although there hasn't been any official announcement of his opponent, word from sources is that as of today, Aoki is still expected to be competing on the Manila card in two weeks. This would mean that he could possibly be headlining back-to-back cards for the promotion.
Aoki has been raring to get back in the cage since his loss to Eddie Alvarez last April, and if for some reason he doesn't get in the cage this August, he will have to wait for his October opponent in Lepont. The Malaysian-based French fighter on the other hand will finally be getting that match up he wanted, as he has repeatedly called out Aoki since defeating his Evolve MMA teammate in Brian Choi last June.
As for ONE FC finally creating title belts, they will be crowning their first 3 three champions on the card. While those divisions have yet to be announced, reliable sources close to the situation have informed BloodyElbow.com that top lightweight star, Zorobabel Moreira will indeed be getting one of those title shots.
Moreira is a BJJ world champion training out of the famed Evolve MMA gym and has been on a tear as of late. The 6-foot-3 lightweight was last seen dominating Roger Huerta with his improved stand up skills, eventually knocking him out with a brutal soccer kick.
More news and tidbits after the jump. Follow me on twitter -- @antontabuena
- Melvin Manhoef, who is set to compete next at Road FC in Korea, is also set to be making his ONE FC return this October. Road FC is part of the ONE FC network of promotions.
- Singapore's first pro fighter, Radeem Rahman will be having his second MMA bout on that October event. He competed at the inaugural ONE FC event, but hasn't competed since, with his coaches at Evolve MMA preferring he hone more of his skills instead of getting back at it immediately.
- The event will again be hosted at the Singapore Indoor Stadium. Unlike the other two times they were in that venue though, this time they won't be configuring the arena and blocking off a portion of the venue. They will now be selling tickets for the entire 12,000 capacity stadium.
- Here's the fight card so far for ONE FC 6:
ONE Fighting Championship 6: Rise of Kings
October 6, 2012 -- Singapore Indoor Stadium
- Shinya Aoki vs. Arnaud Lepont
- Zorobabel Moreira
- Melvin Manhoef
- Radeem Rahman