I've not been feeling 100% the past few days so tonight's version of Evening Combat Sports News will be a little bit abbreviated so I can get some sleep.
It's been a big couple of days in UFC news with some massive fight announcements. First came news that Chael Sonnen was going up to light heavyweight where he would take on long time contender and former 205 pound champion, Forrest Griffin. The bout is planned for this December and could possibly be the first step toward establishing Sonnen as a fresh contender in a division that Jon Jones has almost completely cleared out in only a couple years.
Even though a single win at 205 over Griffin is unlikely to position Sonnen as a title challenger, that didn't stop some buzz from building today with Sonnen and Jones sniping at each other on Twitter. Jones called Sonnen a "coward" and a "cheater" in his tweets while Sonnen cracked a DUI joke or two.
Also, late last night, news broke that the UFC's December Fox effort is going to be a much bigger card than the past few shows. The card will be headlined by a lightweight title fight between Ben Henderson and Nate Diaz with BJ Penn taking on Rory MacDonald in the co-main event slot. If those two fights weren't enough for you, Mauricio Rua will be taking on Alexander Gustafsson in a very big fight.
As I've previously noted, this will be about as "all to themselves" as the UFC will ever have on Fox. There is basically no chance that Floyd Mayweather will be taking a tune-up fight that night, there's no college football set for that date that I'm aware of and no NFL games on that Saturday night.
They're taking the chance to put a PPV quality card on Fox with no opposition to score a big rating. If this doesn't do a big rating, it will be a disaster. But I think it's going to do very well.
For the sake of this being kept short, here's a rundown of the other big stories from today:
- Tim Burke is a smart man, so he ran the first part of his three part series about how the UFC is not running too many cards causing some sort of watering down.
- This week's edition of How's Taste My Tweet Tweet went up with all the usual goodness from Anton Tabuena.
- Dallas Winston went in depth on the scoring of Frankie Edgar's loss to Ben Henderson and came to the sane conclusion that Edgar was robbed by the judges. And he did it without any sort of appeals to emotion.
- You were told why you should watch Saturday night's Strikeforce show by Tim Burke. I don't need a reason beyond "I get paid to" but maybe you needed reasons beyond "Ronda Rousey is kind of a badass."
- Steph Daniels talked to Julie Kedzie about her upcoming bout with Miesha Tate (also this Saturday at Strikeforce: Rousey vs. Kaufman)
Fingers crossed I feel better tomorrow and am up to doing the usual long-form rundown of the news from the fight world.