1. How 'bout that Jake Shields, huh? On a card just filled with one knockout after another, it was nice to finally see a harmless, gentlemanly display of positional control. It was exactly what the crowd needed. Up to that point-and from that point on-everyone was being, like, totally loud and excited and stuff. I'm grateful to Jake for allowing me 20 minutes of peace.
Also, he's really handsome.
2. Edgar/Henderson 2 was literally the first fight I've ever watched and had no idea who won. I think (I had a few beers and only slept 2 hours before work) I gave 1 to Bendo, 2 to Edgar, 3 a 10-10, 4 to Edgar and 5 to Bendo. Both had a few nice moments-Bendo's low kicks and guillotine and Frankie dropping Bendo-but I just don't know....at least now maybe lightweight won't be so clogged up.
3. I wanna be a cowboy...maybe. Big night for Cerrone, who was apparently bullied in high school for wearing a cowboy hat. Even though, if you don't carry 3 guns at all times and eat elk off the side of the road out here you're a gigantic pussy. Let's see: huge comeback KO win over an explosive and athletic former training partner? Check. Getting paid BY YOUR OPPONENT to knock him out? Check. An extra $120,000 in bonuses? Check. Being treated like a god by 18,000 maniacal fans in front of your ex-girlfriend, who also happens to be a UFC ring card girl-playboy model? Checkmate. If that wasn't Cerrone's best night ever, I want to trade lives with him. I'm not sure if the PPV picked it up, but after he wobbled Psychoblack with the headkick, a neon 'Finish him!' graphic appeared above Guillard's head. I don't know how many lasers it took to do that, but it was pretty cool.
4. Prostitutes. Like, everywhere. I can only imagine what a Vegas crowd looks like, because out here, if a girl wasn't wearing 5 inch heels and an alligater-skin dress, she wasn't getting in. Actually, I did see 1 girl in a T-shirt and jeans, but she had to suffer the indignity of not being groped by 3 guys who work part time at the tanning booth and the T Mobile kiosk in the 18th Street mall. I'm really confused by the whole 'I'm going to go watch some fistfights and a Jake Shields match-finally! I've been waiting forever to dress up like a whore!' movement.
5. My gawd that was a lot of knockouts! Fun stuff. My favorite had to be when Kuiper hit Hamman with about 746 clean, unanswered power shots to the head in the first while the ref was eating a sandwich somewhere with Arianny and Brittney. Then, between rounds, the male Denver Nuggets chearleaders came out and slingshotted T-shirts into Hamman's face from point blank range before some random Colorado Avalanche player came out and slung a few slapshots from across the cage at Hamman's head, then Carlos Gonzales walked up and hit Hamman in the face about 15 times with his bat while the ref finished his sandwich. In round 2, Kuiper took over and hit Zombie Hamman with roughly 1714 more killshots to the dome before Hamman finally decided his knee had had enough and he fell down, holding said knee. That assault gif guy must've been pissed at this fight.
6. Oh, eternal love to the BECW crew, but it was nice just watching fights like a fan again. On a scale of 1-10, I'd give UFC 150 a +11.