I'm not going to argue that Anderson's knee may or may not have been legal. I'm not making any points about Anderson greasing prior to the fight. I'm not here to argue whether or not I am an angry Chael fan. I'm not a Chael fan to begin with. I would've been fine with whoever won the fight last night, but certainly not like this.
What I saw last night (which not too many others seem to have seen) was the most blatant, intentional shorts grabbing I've ever seen in MMA.
Here are screenshots, in sequence (these are very large pictures, I had no way to get them other than screenshots):
1. Anderson intentionally puts his thumb into Chael's shorts. He uses his left hand because Yves Lavigne was on his right side.
2. Chael begins to change levels, Anderson holds a tight grip on his shorts.
3. Chael's posture is affected by the grabbing of his shorts. Instead of being under Anderson's hips, he is forced to have his upper body too high to finish the double like he wanted to.
4. The struggle for the takedown. Anderson maintains a tight grip on Chael's shorts, as Chael tries to get lower to finish the shot.
5. Chael's struggle to get under Anderson's hips. Here you can really see that Anderson's grabbing of his shorts affected his ability to get the takedown.
6. Chael begins to give up on the shot. His posture comes up and he stops trying to drop his level.
7. A final struggle to get under Anderson's hips. Again, he is unable to do so because his shorts are being grabbed. Shortly after this, the clinch is given up, and Anderson keeps his hold on Chael's shorts, keeping him in range and punching him.
There you have it. If you have some reason why that didn't affect Chael's shot, I'd love to hear it. His posture and center of gravity were clearly thrown off by Anderson's holding of his shorts. You might say that this is irrelevant, but Anderson could very well have been on his back during the time of the finishing sequence if not for this blatant and intentional use of an illegal move.