URCC Champion Eduard Folayang will be taking on Felipe Enomoto which promises to be an entertaining lightweight scrap. -- Photo by Anton Tabuena
The stacked ONE FC 5 card gets two more bouts added to it, with the Philippines' most popular fighter, Eduard Folayang, finally having an opponent booked for their clash this August. There have been reports floating around the web, but sources close to the fighter have confirmed to BloodyElbow.com that the URCC champion and Team Lakay product will indeed be facing the gritty and tough prospect in Felipe Enomoto.
Stylistically, this is promises to be a very entertaining battle which Asian MMA fans can definitely look forward to. Aside from their talent, both fighters are real gamers, constantly being involved in exciting bouts, always displaying grit and heart which are perfect ingredients for an exciting scrap.
Both men have recently fought a common opponent in Ole Laursen, where Enomoto pulled off a come from behind finish at ONE FC 2. Folayang on the other hand, succumbed to a disputed split decision in an instant classic, and probably the most entertaining bout in the promotion's brief history.
Also on the card as sources from the Philippines have informed us, Folayang's teammate and fellow URCC champion in Honorio Banario will be returning to the ONE FC cage. He will be taking on his countryman in Andrew Benibe, who has been on a recent tear and has established himself as one of the top URCC featherweight contenders.
Much more news after the jump. Follow me on twitter -- @antontabuena
Here's the current ONE FC fight card so far:
: Pride of a Nation
August 31, 2012 -- Araneta Coliseum, Philippines
- Shinya Aoki
- Gregor Gracie vs. Nicholas Mann
- Renato Sobral
- Eduard Folayang vs. Felipe Enomoto
- Rolles Gracie vs. Tony Bonello
- Igor Gracie vs. Jung Hwan Cha
- Kevin BelingonSoo Chul KimMitch ChilsonShannon Wiratchai
Here are quick hits on other news from the region:
- PXC 32 happened last night in Guam, where Joe Taimanglo successfully defended his PXC Featherweight title by knocking out Korean, Jang Yong Kim in the first round. In the co-main event, Hyun Gyu Lim claimed the PXC Welterweight belt by choking out top Guamenian prospect, Ryan Bigler.
- Here are the full results for PXC 32, where all bouts ended in finishes:
- Joe Taimanglo defeats Jang Yong Kim via KO at Round 1
- Lim Hyun Gyu defeats Ryan Bigler via Submission (Guillotine Choke) at Round 1
- Kyle Reyes defeats Ronnie Borja via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at Round 2
- Josh Alvarez defeats Mark Nuique via Submission (Armbar) at Round 1
- Kyle Aguon defeats Derrick Rangamar via Submission (Arm Triangle) at Round 1
- Junghoon Koh defeats Ricky Camp via TKO at Round 3
- Tyrone Jones defeats Brian Howard via Submission (Rear Naked Choke) at Round 2
- Jared Mellon defeats Joe Arriola via TKO at Round 2
- Evolve MMA product, and NCAA Division I wrestler Jake Butler, was supposed to make his MMA debut at ONE FC 5, but he unfortunately suffered a knee injury which forced him off the card. Sources tell us he is already penciled in to make his debut at the October ONE FC event in Singapore.
- ONE FC has announced that Matt Hume will no longer be their head referee as he has took on a senior executive position with the promotion. Here's how they explained his new role: "Matt Hume has recently become the Vice President of Operations and Competition for ONE Fighting Championship. His main responsibilities for ONE FC are matchmaking, talent recruitment, production, and leadership of the ONE FC Network."
- The head referee will now be Yuji Shimada, and as URCC officials have told us, stepping up for other reffing slot is Joey Lepiten, a ONE FC judge and veteran URCC referee. If that name is familiar, Lepiten was involved in that altercation where the promoter, Alvin Aguilar choked out his own fighter for attacking the referee.