As you may or may not know, there is a bit of an epic kerfuffle in the middleweight division. The undisputed king of the mountain is obviously Anderson Silva, who is on a 16-fight win streak and holds win over the (USA Today/BloodyElbow consensus) ranked #2, 4, 8, 15, 16 and 19th ranked contenders. The man at #3 just got annihilated but #9, so we're now left with the following individuals who've yet to face the Spider, and are in the UFC as potential opponents:
- #5 - Michael Bisping. 22-4, has only lost to Rashad Evans (former LHW champ), Dan Henderson (former MW and LHW champ), Chael Sonnen (consensus #2 MW) and Wanderlei Silva. However, he's never beaten another top 10 fighter according to the same rankings.
- #6 Tim Boetsch. 15-4, just took out a top5 guy in Okami. He has some mediocre/bad losses on his record however (Hammill, Brilz, Matyushenko and a very respectable loss toPhil Davis). He'll be facing #11 Hector Lombard in
ten nine days.
- #9 Chris Weidman. He'll be drastically moving up after obliterating Munoz - I will very conservatively state top5, possibly top3. Undefeated, but not completely tested at only 9-0.
- #11 Hector Lombard. 31-2-1-1, but against incredibly watered down competition. His best wins are against a very green James Te Huna five years ago and fellow prospect Alexander Shlemenko. Redneck Judo will be his toughest fight since he faced then wunderkind Gegard Mousasi.
- #13 Alan Belcher. 18-6, and looked excellent against Rousimar Palhares, but Paul Harris, Jorge Santiago and uh... Ed Herman? Are his best wins throughout an eight-year career.
Five people, two of which will be fighting each other and will knock the loser out of contention (possibly literally). Now, we don't know the UFC's internal rankings. We don't even know if they HAVE internal rankings, although we all assume they do. On a personal guess, here's how I think the Middleweight
division fills out, assuming no injuries and no superfight between GSP or Jon:
Make with the clicking for my probably erroneous predictions.
\The FanPosts are solely the subjective opinions of Bloody Elbow readers and do not necessarily reflect the views of Bloody Elbow editors or staff.