MMA has not matched boxing records as far as champions but they are getting closer. Joe Louis defended the Heavyweight title 25 times. Manny Pacqiao's has won the boxing title in seven different weight classes. Muhammad Ali defended the the Heavyweight title 19 times and won it 3 seperate times combined for 11 years. Bernard Hopkins held the middleweight title for over ten years and made 20 title defenses. Here is a list of mma greats and a list of who might be next in line.
MMA top ten Champions ever
1. Anderson Silva 9 title defenses as middleweight champ for almost six years.
2. Matt Hughes 2 time welterweight champ with 7 title defenses.
3. GSP 2 time welterweight champ with 6 title defenses.
4. Chuck Liddell 4 title defenses as lightheavyweight champ for two years.
5. Randy Couture 3 times heavyweight champ and 2 time lightheavyweight champ with 3 title defenses.
6. BJ Penn Former Welterweight and lightweight champ with 3 title defenses.
7. Tito Ortiz 5 title defenses as lightheavyweight champ for 3 years.
9. Wanderlei Silvia 4 title defenses at lightheavyweight for Pride Fighting championship.
10. Urjah Faber 5 title defenses as featherweight champ for WEC.
Five Fighters that could either break into top five or become the greatest mma champion ever
1. Gilbert Meledez 2 time Strikeforce lightweight champ with 5 total title defenses
4. Jon Jones UFC lightheavyweight champion 3 title defenses
5. Dan Henderson former Pride Fighting Champion lightheavyweight and middleweight champion and Strikeforce lightheavyweight champion.