"This is blood for blood and by the gallon. These are the old days, the bad days, the all-or-nothing days. They’re back! There’s no choice left. And I’m ready for war."
Hello again, you freaky fucks. Everything's set. The T's have been crossed, the I's have been dotted and the roster is set. Despite the best efforts of the diplomats and backroom political fixers, negotiations have come grinding to a standstill. Words have failed and diplomacy has faltered. This leaves only one solution: all out WAR! Mothers are crying, little siblings are giving their older brethren and sistren their favorite toys as endearing yet useless good luck charms while daddy's setting his jaw and lying through his teeth, telling baby that "everything's going to be ok" as he trawls craigslist for good deals on caskets in preparation for the next time they see their child returning from battle.
First item of business, the event of the season: the BECW draft. THE BECW DRAFT WILL TAKE PLACE ON MONDAY. 4/30 AT 7:30 PM EASTERN/STANDARD TIME. Be there, or be Subbevil.
First off, all of us need to thank zakkree and wonderfulspam. I cannot and will not take sole credit for this, as these new ideas are the result of intercontinental email conversations fueled by kilos of blow, ginkgo biloba, non-pretentious space rock, anorexic Swedish chicks addicted to ketamine and self-mutilation and Swiss chocolate. We brainstormed and sent epic email threads back and forth until we came up with the final product seen below.
Now, I realize that creating this post and asking most of you to actually comprehend the information contained herein is about as useful as masturbating on painkillers, but I'm gonna do it anyway. Alright, so here's how it's gonna work, but first, I want to explain the rationale behind the changes and the problems that we were attempting to mitigate (p.s., this is gonna be longer and more drawn out than necessary, but I'm an idiosyncratically verbose mutherfuker. If you don't like it, hit the bricks. I'd rather have Damon O. and moll in the game more than you anyway):
- The biggest problem that I've found over the original format of the BECW was that while basing scoring on overall, cumulative team score may have been the most parsimonious, perhaps accurate metric of overall team performance, if your team got off to a bad start, you could pretty much kiss the rest of the season goodbye, as even modest deficits were nearly impossible to overcome.
- When you're simply judging performance based on overall team scores, you end up in a competition in which you're essentially competing against every team for every event. This results in a watering down of specific rivalries and thus, the overall competitive feel of the entire event. Sure, maybe the team in first and the team in second have some fun talking shit to each other, but what we ended up getting most was the top team building an insurmountable lead rather quickly, then just being blustery and kreally-ish towards no one in particular. Maybe you got some of the individuals going for the top spot getting into it, but for the most part, the sense of competition was reduced by not having enough specific entities to focus your laser like hatred on. This needed to be fixed. Here's how:
* We have 12 teams overall.
* Teams will be divided into 3 divisions, each with 4 teams (see? Only 3 teams to hate. 36 people to loathe. That's doable, right?).
* The regular season will consist of the first 7 events.
* Each team will play their divisional rivals twice, taking us through the first 6 events.
* Standings for the regular season will be based on win/loss records of the head-to-head matchups within the divisions, regardless of each team's cumulative point totals. (side note: any player caught using the word "irregardless" in any BECW-related comment will be perma-banned from the contest and publicly executed, but I digress...)
* The 7th event will be the intra-divisional playoff week, with #1 vs. #2, and #3 vs. #4 teams facing off in a third matchup between those teams and battling for playoff spots and positioning.
END OF REGULAR SEASON
8 TEAM PLAYOFFS, SINGLE ELIMINATION TOURNAMENT (FINAL 3 EVENTS): BECW GRAND PRIX
* The top 2 teams in each division automatically qualify for the playoffs. (6 total)
* The two teams of the remaining field with the highest cumulative point total regardless of W/L records are the wildcard teams.
* Playoff seeding will be based on point totals with: #1 vs. # 8, #2 vs. #7, #3 vs. #6 and #4 vs. #5
* Winners advance until there is only one Highlander, er, Champion.
* Playoff losers will continue playing through the very end to determine finishing positions 3-8.
CONSOLATION TOURNAMENT: BECW BLAND PRIX
* The 4 teams that did not qualify for the playoffs will play each other once in a round robin league to determine best of the worst and, obviously worst of the worst.
So that's it. What do you guys think? I know there will be question from some of you more slingblade-y dolts, so feel free to excrete them in the comments.
Final roster and captain list after the jump, including a last minute change to the captains.....
Our Bovine Public
Paulo Filho’s Psychiatrist
Andy Davis (Andy_Davis)
Body Triangle (bodytriangle)
Chris Hall (chris81203)
Dave Strummer (Montefisto)
Earl Montclair (MostDiabolicalHater)
hardy’s in your face (hardysinyourface)
Horselover Fat (Horselover_Fat)
John Danaher’s Hair (JohnDanahersHair)
KJ Zametov St-Pierre (KJ_ZametovStPierre)
Luke Nelson (LukeNelson)
Patrick Tenney (AboveThisFire)
Patrick Wyman (fightinghistorian)
Paulo Filho’s Psychiatrist (inadvertentgroinstrike)
Robert Cowan (RobertCowan)
Seth Smiley (SethSmiley)
Sugel Mendoza (sMendo7)
sun yue (sunyue)
Sweet Scientist (tokitok)
T.C. Engel (TCEngel)
Tim Bernier (chicubs23)
Zachary Kater (zakkree)
Bar Belle (BarBelle)
Brent Ducharme (dutchbaby)
Josh Hall (JoshHall)
Tim Burke (Beermonster)
Tier 3 players
Jim America (JimAmerica)
Sebastiaan Tauran (naantje)
Chris Groves (Chris_Groves)
Scabby Knuckle (Scabby_Knuckle)
Matt Bishop (TheBoss)
Fraser Coffeen (FraserCoffeen)