"Hipster" is an enigmatic appelation. Part of the problem is that one of the core requirements for being a hipster is that you must categorically deny that you are a hipster. Indeed, calling yourself a hipster is -- ironically enough -- one of the only proven ways to demonstrate that you aren't one.
As the name has worked its way deeper into our lexicon, it's not enough just to be a hipster anymore. You've got music hipsters, film hipsters, book hipsters, and of course, MMA hipsters. Since -- as we've already discussed -- self-awareness is paradoxically impossible for those afflicted with this 21st Century malady, I thought I'd put together this helpful list of 10 signs that you, or someone you know, may be an MMA hipster.
10) You can make a convincing, passionate case for a non-Zuffa fighter being the best in the world in one of the UFC's established weight classes (give yourself a bonus point if that fighter is Japanese).
9) You un-ironically refer to the majority of MMA fans as the "The Just Bleed Crowd."
8) You have a "favorite submission" (give yourself a bonus point if it ends in "-plata").
7) You watch NCAA wrestling tournaments to scout for talent.
6) You've been known to begin sentences with: "well, under Pride rules..."
5) The term "lay-and-pray" makes you angry (give yourself a bonus point if you reflexively respond to any mention of LnP with a gif of Leonard Garcia and the tagline "STANDNBANG").
4) You can say the following sentence with a straight face: "You know sometimes I prefer a good, technical grinding decision to a highlight reel finish." (give yourself five bonus points if you've said something similar after watching a Jon Fitch fight).
3) You have helped twitter bomb an MMA promoter into booking a fight (1 bonus point if it was for someone other than Mark Hunt; 10 bonus points if it was a promoter other than Dana White).
2) Your reflexive response when you hear that a heavyweight fighter needs an opponent is to type "MINOWAMAN" and do a google search for this picture:
...and of course
1) You are a member in good standing at Bloody Elbow.