There's a bunch of news coming out of the Asian MMA scene, so let's get right to it:
- Ahead of their 3rd event happening on March 31, One Fighting Championship officials have just announced the next few events on their calendar.
- The promotion landed a TV deal with 'Astro ARENA', a local sports channel in Malaysia to broadcast ONE FC events, and they have also announced that they will be hosting a show in the country on May 26. While nothing has been finalized, participants would likely be top Malaysians such as Adam Kayoom along with some of the members from the country's best team in Muay Fit which houses fighters such as Arnaud Lepont and Peter Davis.
- Also on their line up is a September 1 event which would happen in the Philippines. It is unclear whether this would be the planned co-promotion with the URCC, but as for participants, ONE FC will have a lot of options to choose from on the deep roster of talented Filipinos such Eduard Folayang, Kevin Belingon, Eric Kelly, Roy Docyogen, Geje Eustaquio, Mark Striegl, and Froilan Sarenas among others.
- On October 6, the Singapore-based promotion will be hosting another event in their home-base. This would be their third event in Singapore, and as announced earlier, this has been agreed to be headlined by DREAM Lightweight Champ, Shinya Aoki.
- Speaking of the URCC, the Philippine promotion has announced their next major event for April 28, and as reported earlier, it will be headlined by URCC Middleweight Champion, Froilan Sarenas.
The undefeated BJJ expert has been tearing up the competition despite not cutting weight and coming in under the URCC's 179 lb limit, but I have always felt that Sarenas would benefit by dropping down a division or two. It won't happen this April though, as Sarenas will have a much bigger challenge by moving up yet another weight class to try and take the light heavyweight title currently held by Nicholas Mann.
We'll see if Sarenas can use his skills to overcome the much bigger Australian fighter, and make history by holding two URCC titles at the same time. This exciting battle of champions is part of the card that has been full of exciting bouts so far. Check out the current fight card after the jump.
- As part of the URCC 21 card, the young and always exciting Alvin Ramirez returns against Roy Doliquez who is training in one of the top boxing camps in the country. Also one of the intriguing match ups for the event, Will Chope, who has won 8 of his past 9 fights and has been calling out Angelito Manguray recently, will be getting his wish as he battles the Karate-based former URCC lightweight champ.
Check out the current rumored fight card so far:
URCC 21: Warpath
April 28, 2012 -- SMX Convention Center, Philippines
Nicholas Mann vs. Froilan Sarenas
Alvin Ramirez vs. Roy Doliquez
Jerson Estoro vs. Onyok Transmonte
Will Chope vs. Angelito Manguray
- Dare Championship, the top MMA promotion in Thailand held another event this past weekend. Talented prospects Arnaud Lepont and Mark Striegl picked up quality wins. Check out the event report here.
- SFL isn't the only promotion in India making headlines. FCC or Full Contact Championship, a promotion that's been quietly running for the past three years in India, was covered by the New York Times and The Guardian recently.