Image via Esther Lin of MMA Fighting
In the main event of UFC 143, Carlos Condit stuck to a very intelligent gameplan and picked up the UFC interim welterweight title by defeating Nick Diaz by unanimous decision. The scores were 49-46, 49-46 and 48-47. The bout was closer than the scores made it appear, with Diaz having a case for winning three of the five rounds. Fans have been bitterly divided over the opinion of Condit's gameplan, which involved him landing strikes and circling away from being cornered by an oncoming Diaz. Either way, it's impossible to deny that the gameplan was effective.
The first two rounds were close, with Diaz coming forward and landing strikes while Condit threw leg kicks and avoided damage. Condit seemed to pull ahead in the third and particularly the fourth, while a visibly frustrated Diaz started throwing less strikes. Condit was controlling the fifth as well until late in the round when Diaz managed to get his back, lock up a body triangle, and attempted to submit Condit. "The Natural Born Killer" held Diaz off until the final bell though, and claimed the decision
What was the high spot of this fight?
Probably either Diaz trash-talking Condit in round two, or Nick's back control and attempted subs in the final stanza.
Where do these guys go from here?
Whether you were a fan of his style or not, Condit is now the UFC interim welterweight champion. He has two choices - he can wait until Georges St. Pierre is healthy (likely in the fall) and unify the titles in a bout with the current champion. Or, he can choose to defend his interim title in the meantime. A rematch with Diaz would be a possibility, along with bouts with Josh Koscheck or the winner of Jake Ellenberger vs. Diego Sanchez.
Diaz announced his retirement after the bout, believing he had won decisively and showing his disgust with the final scores. Whether Diaz goes through with that remains to be seen, but it doesn't seem likely. A rematch with Condit is a possibility, as is a next bout with Josh Koscheck or a whole host of top contenders. Will we see Diaz in the octagon again? My guess would be a definitive yes.
Watch it now, later or never?
Now. While it wasn't even close to what people expected excitement-wise, watching Condit implement his gameplan and frustrate Diaz has to be seen to be believed. Plus, you can decide for yourself whether Diaz has a legitimate gripe regarding the scoring or not.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit in the full entry.
- UFC 143 Results: Dana White Talks Carlos Condit's Next Fight, Nick Diaz' Retirement - Josh Nason
- UFC 143 Results: Mike Pierce Tolls A Warning Bell For Josh Koscheck Like He Did For Jon Fitch - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Nick Diaz Vs. Carlos Condit Event Fight Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 143 Results: The Career Of UFC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 143 Results: Sunday Morning Perspective - T.P. Grant
- UFC 143 Results: Does Fabricio Werdum's Mauling Of Roy Nelson Mean He's Ready To Contend In The UFC? - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results Video: Dana White Talks Condit Vs. Diaz, Koscheck Vs. Fitch, More At Post-Fight Scrum - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit, Gameplanning And The MMA Fan - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit And Greg Jackson Solved Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Winners, Losers, And Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143 Results: Thompson, Poirier, Werdum And Nelson Take Home $65,000 Fight Night Bonuses - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Condit vs. Diaz Full Fight Video Highlights - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit Results And Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Results: Judges' Score Cards From Carlos Condit Vs. Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- Nick Diaz: 'I'm Outta This S**t', Retires From MMA After UFC 143 Loss To Carlos Condit - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit Wins Interim Welterweight Title Over Nick Diaz In Thrilling Affair - Tim Burke
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 132: UFC 143 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 143 Post-Fight Press Conference Video And Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Fabricio Werdum Beats Up Roy Nelson, Takes Unanimous Decision - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Josh Koscheck Picks Up Razor-Thin Split Decision Victory Over Mike Pierce - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Renan Barao Takes Unanimous Decision Over Scott Jorgensen - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Ed Herman Submits Clifford Starks In Round Two - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Dustin Poirier Submits Max Holloway - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Edwin Figueroa Beats Alex Cacares By Split Decision In Weird Fight - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Matt Brown Stops Chris Cope In The Second Round - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Matt Riddle Picks Up Split Decision Victory Over Henry Martinez - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Rafael Natal Wins Unanimous Decision Over Michael Kuiper - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Stephen Thompson Knocks Out Dan Stittgen With Deadly Head Kick - Tim Burke
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For PPV Main Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For Undercard Fights - Brent Brookhouse