Image via Esther Lin of MMA Fighting
In the second bout of the UFC 143 main card, Renan Barao picked up a solid unanimous decision victory over Scott Jorgensen. All three judges had it 30-27 for Barao. He showed off a combination of flashy striking and effective counterfighting, and managed to shrug off all of Jorgensen's attempts to take the fight to the floor. Barao even forced Jorgensen to pull guard at one point in the second round, but couldn't get anything going there either.
The win for Barao leaves him as the most logical contender for the UFC bantamweight title after Dominick Cruz and Urijah Faber meet for a third time. He is now 3-0 in the UFC and 5-0 under the Zuffa banner, taking out increasingly strong competition along the way. It's back to the drawing board for Jorgensen, who picked up his first loss in the UFC but has a few guys ahead of him in the bantamweight pecking order now.
What was the high spot of this fight?
Nothing really stands out, though Barao did throw a few spinning kicks that looked pretty cool.
Where do these guys go from here?
As stated above, Barao is the most likely candidate to meet the winner of Cruz vs. Faber 3 later this year. If that bout doesn't go down for a while and the UFC wants Barao to fight again before then, a bout with Brian Bowles would make the most sense.
Jorgensen's hopes for another shot at the title were dashed with this loss, and his place in the division isn't clear at this point. With two other top contenders moving down to flyweight, he's unlikely to drop much in the rankings. But at the same time, there aren't a lot of big-name opponents out there for him either. A do-or-die matchup with Eddie Wineland could be very interesting.
Watch it now, later or never?
Later. Barao is a very interesting fighter and all that, but neither fighter does much damage in the bout, and there's not a ton going on most of the time. It's worth taking a pass on.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit in the full entry.
- UFC 143 Results: Dana White Talks Carlos Condit's Next Fight, Nick Diaz' Retirement - Josh Nason
- UFC 143 Results: Mike Pierce Tolls A Warning Bell For Josh Koscheck Like He Did For Jon Fitch - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Nick Diaz Vs. Carlos Condit Event Fight Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 143 Results: The Career Of UFC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 143 Results: Sunday Morning Perspective - T.P. Grant
- UFC 143 Results: Does Fabricio Werdum's Mauling Of Roy Nelson Mean He's Ready To Contend In The UFC? - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results Video: Dana White Talks Condit Vs. Diaz, Koscheck Vs. Fitch, More At Post-Fight Scrum - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit, Gameplanning And The MMA Fan - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit And Greg Jackson Solved Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Winners, Losers, And Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143 Results: Thompson, Poirier, Werdum And Nelson Take Home $65,000 Fight Night Bonuses - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Condit vs. Diaz Full Fight Video Highlights - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit Results And Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Results: Judges' Score Cards From Carlos Condit Vs. Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- Nick Diaz: 'I'm Outta This S**t', Retires From MMA After UFC 143 Loss To Carlos Condit - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit Wins Interim Welterweight Title Over Nick Diaz In Thrilling Affair - Tim Burke
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 132: UFC 143 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 143 Post-Fight Press Conference Video And Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Fabricio Werdum Beats Up Roy Nelson, Takes Unanimous Decision - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Josh Koscheck Picks Up Razor-Thin Split Decision Victory Over Mike Pierce - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Renan Barao Takes Unanimous Decision Over Scott Jorgensen - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Ed Herman Submits Clifford Starks In Round Two - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Dustin Poirier Submits Max Holloway - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Edwin Figueroa Beats Alex Cacares By Split Decision In Weird Fight - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Matt Brown Stops Chris Cope In The Second Round - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Matt Riddle Picks Up Split Decision Victory Over Henry Martinez - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Rafael Natal Wins Unanimous Decision Over Michael Kuiper - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Stephen Thompson Knocks Out Dan Stittgen With Deadly Head Kick - Tim Burke
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For PPV Main Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For Undercard Fights - Brent Brookhouse