In the first bout of the UFC 143 main card, Ed Herman overcame some solid shots from his opponent and picked up a second round submission victory over Clifford Starks. Herman got off to a shaky start, looking to land uppercuts but eating big straight rights over and over from Starks. He was doing okay in the clinch, but at range he was getting busted up. He finally got a takedown late in the first, but was quickly reversed by Starks, who easily took the first round.
The second round was a different story though. Starks once again pushed it against the fence, but Herman scored a nice trip takedown, quickly advanced to mount, and once Starks flipped over Herman had it well in hand. The tap came soon thereafter. Starks looked quite impressive in the fight though, and the stock of both fighters is likely to go up in the aftermath of the bout.
What was the high spot of this fight?
Herman's beautiful trip that led to the finishing sequence.
Where do these guys go from here?
Herman has now won three bouts in a row since his two-year injury layoff, and has finished all three of the fights. He definitely had some trouble with Starks early, but weathered the storm and looked extremely impressive once he created an opportunity for himself. You'd have to expect that he'll get a fringe top-25 fighter for his next bout. The winner of the Aaron Simpson vs. Ronny Markes bout at UFC on Fuel 1 seems like a solid next opponent for Short Fuse.
Starks proved that he can hang (at least for a while) with a talented middleweight, and his striking looked much better than it did in the Jacoby fight. Perhaps he wasn't ready for a main card fight yet, but he does have the ability to be a solid mid-tier 185er in the UFC. A matchup with fellow Michael Kuiper, who also dropped his bout at UFC 143, would be interesting.
Watch it now, later or never?
Now. This was the only finish on the main card and maintained a good pace throughout. It's worth 10 minutes of your time.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit in the full entry.
- UFC 143 Results: Dana White Talks Carlos Condit's Next Fight, Nick Diaz' Retirement - Josh Nason
- UFC 143 Results: Mike Pierce Tolls A Warning Bell For Josh Koscheck Like He Did For Jon Fitch - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Nick Diaz Vs. Carlos Condit Event Fight Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 143 Results: The Career Of UFC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 143 Results: Sunday Morning Perspective - T.P. Grant
- UFC 143 Results: Does Fabricio Werdum's Mauling Of Roy Nelson Mean He's Ready To Contend In The UFC? - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results Video: Dana White Talks Condit Vs. Diaz, Koscheck Vs. Fitch, More At Post-Fight Scrum - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit, Gameplanning And The MMA Fan - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit And Greg Jackson Solved Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Winners, Losers, And Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143 Results: Thompson, Poirier, Werdum And Nelson Take Home $65,000 Fight Night Bonuses - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Condit vs. Diaz Full Fight Video Highlights - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit Results And Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Results: Judges' Score Cards From Carlos Condit Vs. Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- Nick Diaz: 'I'm Outta This S**t', Retires From MMA After UFC 143 Loss To Carlos Condit - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit Wins Interim Welterweight Title Over Nick Diaz In Thrilling Affair - Tim Burke
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 132: UFC 143 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 143 Post-Fight Press Conference Video And Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Fabricio Werdum Beats Up Roy Nelson, Takes Unanimous Decision - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Josh Koscheck Picks Up Razor-Thin Split Decision Victory Over Mike Pierce - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Renan Barao Takes Unanimous Decision Over Scott Jorgensen - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Ed Herman Submits Clifford Starks In Round Two - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Dustin Poirier Submits Max Holloway - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Edwin Figueroa Beats Alex Cacares By Split Decision In Weird Fight - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Matt Brown Stops Chris Cope In The Second Round - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Matt Riddle Picks Up Split Decision Victory Over Henry Martinez - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Rafael Natal Wins Unanimous Decision Over Michael Kuiper - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Stephen Thompson Knocks Out Dan Stittgen With Deadly Head Kick - Tim Burke
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For PPV Main Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For Undercard Fights - Brent Brookhouse