Dustin Poirier submits Max Holloway at UFC 143 on Feb. 4, 2012 in Las Vegas. Photo by Esther Lin for MMA Fighting.
In the final fight on the UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit prelims on FX, Dustin Poirier defeated UFC newcomer Max Holloway. Poirier used a beautiful chain of submissions before finally locking in a mounted triangle/armbar to tap Holloway in the first round. The submission earned Porier the Submission of the Night bonus, and rightfully so. Poirier is now 12-1 overall, and a perfect 4-0 in the UFC. He seems to be closing in on a Featherweight title shot with Jose Aldo. Holloway loses for the first time in his career, dropping to 4-1.
Right from the start, this was a very exciting fight. Both men came out with aggressive stand-up, with Holloway looking particularly impressive in his willingness to take the fight to the more experienced Poirier. As Hollway began to have more success on his feet, Poirier switched to his wrestling, taking the younger fighter down. From there, Poirier controlled with those submissions, ending up with the win.
What was the high spot of this fight?
The submission sequence at the end, clearly, though the entire thing was quite good.
Where do these guys go from here?
Poirier was originally set to face Erik Koch here, and that may be a good option for his next fight depending on what Koch's timetable is on his injury. But he's also very high up the Featherweight ranks at this point. I'd love to see Poirier vs. Chan Sung Jung for #1 contender status, but with Jose Aldo having no challenger set-up, I wouldn't be shocked to see Poirier get the call up right now.
Holloway may have lost, but he looked good and clearly earned himself a future in the UFC. He seems like a perfect candidate for Leonard Garcia in a fight that will let Holloway show off his striking and hopefully give him a nice win.
Watch it now, later or never?
Now. It was short, exciting, and had a thrilling finish. About as entertaining a one round fight as you'll find.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit in the full entry.
- UFC 143 Results: Dana White Talks Carlos Condit's Next Fight, Nick Diaz' Retirement - Josh Nason
- UFC 143 Results: Mike Pierce Tolls A Warning Bell For Josh Koscheck Like He Did For Jon Fitch - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Nick Diaz Vs. Carlos Condit Event Fight Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 143 Results: The Career Of UFC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 143 Results: Sunday Morning Perspective - T.P. Grant
- UFC 143 Results: Does Fabricio Werdum's Mauling Of Roy Nelson Mean He's Ready To Contend In The UFC? - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results Video: Dana White Talks Condit Vs. Diaz, Koscheck Vs. Fitch, More At Post-Fight Scrum - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit, Gameplanning And The MMA Fan - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit And Greg Jackson Solved Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Winners, Losers, And Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143 Results: Thompson, Poirier, Werdum And Nelson Take Home $65,000 Fight Night Bonuses - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Condit vs. Diaz Full Fight Video Highlights - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit Results And Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Results: Judges' Score Cards From Carlos Condit Vs. Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- Nick Diaz: 'I'm Outta This S**t', Retires From MMA After UFC 143 Loss To Carlos Condit - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit Wins Interim Welterweight Title Over Nick Diaz In Thrilling Affair - Tim Burke
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 132: UFC 143 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 143 Post-Fight Press Conference Video And Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Fabricio Werdum Beats Up Roy Nelson, Takes Unanimous Decision - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Josh Koscheck Picks Up Razor-Thin Split Decision Victory Over Mike Pierce - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Renan Barao Takes Unanimous Decision Over Scott Jorgensen - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Ed Herman Submits Clifford Starks In Round Two - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Dustin Poirier Submits Max Holloway - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Edwin Figueroa Beats Alex Cacares By Split Decision In Weird Fight - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Matt Brown Stops Chris Cope In The Second Round - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Matt Riddle Picks Up Split Decision Victory Over Henry Martinez - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Rafael Natal Wins Unanimous Decision Over Michael Kuiper - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Stephen Thompson Knocks Out Dan Stittgen With Deadly Head Kick - Tim Burke
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For PPV Main Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For Undercard Fights - Brent Brookhouse