Alex Caceres walks to his corner at UFC 143 on Feb. 4, 2012 in Las Vegas. Photo by Esther Lin for MMA Fighting.
In a wild Bantamweight fight at UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit, Edwin Figueroa defeated Alex Caceres via split decision. The scorecards were 28-27, 27-28, 28-27, with Cacaeres having been deducted two points for low blows. Caceres now drops to 6-5 overall, 1-3 in the UFC, while Figueroa brings his recird up to an impressive 9-1, 2-1 in the UFC.
This was a very strange fight, which was largely defined by two unintentional low blows Caceres connected on Figueroa. Early in the first round, Caceres caught him low on an inside leg kick. As Figueroa writhed on the ground, it looked like the fight would be stopped, but he regained his feet, and came back to nearly end the fight himself with a brutal headkick. Round 2 saw Caceres again land a low blow, resulting in referee Herb Dean deducting 2 points from Caceres - a move that is unprecedented in the UFC. Figueroa never fully recovered from the low blows, but gutted through the fight.
What was the high spot of this fight?
That headkick from Figueroa in round 1 was fantastic, and I am shocked it didn't end the fight.
Where do these guys go from here?
This fight was so strange that it's hard to really evaluate much about either man. Figueroa is now on a 2 fight win streak in the UFC, but his ground game had definite issues here. But again, how much of that was due to the low blows?
At just 1-3 Caceres could easily be on the chopping block, but he is a recognizable face in the division, and with the weirdness of this fight, there's reason to keep him around for one more shot.
Watch it now, later or never?
Later. There was a lot of fun stuff here, particularly in round 1, you just have to fast forward through about 10 minutes of groin shot downtime.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit in the full entry.
- UFC 143 Results: Dana White Talks Carlos Condit's Next Fight, Nick Diaz' Retirement - Josh Nason
- UFC 143 Results: Mike Pierce Tolls A Warning Bell For Josh Koscheck Like He Did For Jon Fitch - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Nick Diaz Vs. Carlos Condit Event Fight Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 143 Results: The Career Of UFC Welterweight Champion Carlos Condit - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 143 Results: Sunday Morning Perspective - T.P. Grant
- UFC 143 Results: Does Fabricio Werdum's Mauling Of Roy Nelson Mean He's Ready To Contend In The UFC? - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results Video: Dana White Talks Condit Vs. Diaz, Koscheck Vs. Fitch, More At Post-Fight Scrum - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit, Gameplanning And The MMA Fan - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit And Greg Jackson Solved Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Winners, Losers, And Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143 Results: Thompson, Poirier, Werdum And Nelson Take Home $65,000 Fight Night Bonuses - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Condit vs. Diaz Full Fight Video Highlights - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit Results And Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Results: Judges' Score Cards From Carlos Condit Vs. Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- Nick Diaz: 'I'm Outta This S**t', Retires From MMA After UFC 143 Loss To Carlos Condit - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Results: Carlos Condit Wins Interim Welterweight Title Over Nick Diaz In Thrilling Affair - Tim Burke
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 132: UFC 143 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 143 Post-Fight Press Conference Video And Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Fabricio Werdum Beats Up Roy Nelson, Takes Unanimous Decision - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Josh Koscheck Picks Up Razor-Thin Split Decision Victory Over Mike Pierce - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Renan Barao Takes Unanimous Decision Over Scott Jorgensen - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Ed Herman Submits Clifford Starks In Round Two - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Dustin Poirier Submits Max Holloway - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Edwin Figueroa Beats Alex Cacares By Split Decision In Weird Fight - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Matt Brown Stops Chris Cope In The Second Round - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Matt Riddle Picks Up Split Decision Victory Over Henry Martinez - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Rafael Natal Wins Unanimous Decision Over Michael Kuiper - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Results: Stephen Thompson Knocks Out Dan Stittgen With Deadly Head Kick - Tim Burke
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For PPV Main Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Live Results And Play-By-Play For Undercard Fights - Brent Brookhouse