Photo by Esther Lin for MMA Fighting.
In a prelim fight at UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit, Alex Caceres (6-4; 1-2 UFC) faces Edwin Figueroa (8-1; 1-1 UFC). This fight is in the Bantamweight division and is the third of four fights on the FX prelim card. Neither man in currently ranked in the USA Today/BE Consensus Rankings. The prelims air on FX starting at 8 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT, with the PPV broadcast following at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT.
The Bantamweight division tends to deliver highlights and this fight should be no exception. Both Caceres and Figueroa are dynamic fighters. Caceres uses his kicks and somewhat unorthodox style to make fights flashy, and Figueroa has delivered his own fireworks inside the Octagon. Look for both men to try and impress in this exciting match-up.
How do these two stack up?
Caceres: 23 years old | 5'10" | 70" reach
Figueroa: 27 years old | 5'7"
What have these two done recently?
How did these two get here?
Alex "Bruce Leroy" Caceres came into the UFC courtesy of The Ultimate Fighter where he was a member of Team GSP. He quickly stood out on the show, thanks primarily to his large personality and love of Bruce Lee. That personality immediately turned off a lot of people, as Caceres is surprisingly unliked as a fighter. Many wrote him off after going 0-2 in the UFC, but he dropped down from Featherweight to Bantamweight and looked good in his upset win over Escovedo. Considering that those loses both came against tough opponents, it seems people may have been too harsh on this young fighter. Still, at just 1-2 in the Octagon, he needs a win here.
Edwin "El Feroz" Figueroa came to the UFC on short notice, stepping in to face Michael McDonald. He lost that fight, but turned in a great performance, taking home Fight of the Night honors. He followed that up with a big win over Jason Reinhardt. Figueroa fights out of Texas, and is a finisher, earning all of his wins by either submission or KO. He looked strong against Reinhardt, and is ready to keep that momentum going here.
Why should you care?
This is just a well put together fight between two exciting fighters. Plus, Bruce Leroy is the kind of fighter who you either love or can't stand, but either way, he gets you emotionally invested, and isn't that what matters?
For a more in-depth look at Caceres vs. Figueroa, check out Dallas Winston's fight dissection.
You can catch morepreview content from Bloody Elbow after the jump.
- UFC 143 Judo Chop: Fabricio Werdum Striking Analysis - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 143 'Diaz Vs. Condit' Exclusive Weigh-Ins Photo Gallery - Matthew Roth
- Super Bowl XLVI Video: NFL Players Pick The Winners of UFC 143 - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143 Weigh-In Results: Carlos Condit 169, Nick Diaz 169 - Tim Burke
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Renan Barao Vs. Scott Jorgensen Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit Staff Predictions - Tim Burke
- Frank Mir Thinks UFC 143's Fabricio Werdum Is Heavyweight's Best Grappler - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143 Weigh-In Video And Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Video: Watch Full Countdown Show On Bloody Elbow - Josh Nason
- UFC 143 Judo Chop: Carlos Condit Lands A Flying Knee KO - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 143: Dana White 'No One Knew GSP At One Time Either' - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143: Details Of The New PPV Opening Montage, RIP Gladiator Man - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Ed Herman Vs. Clifford Starks Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 143: Picking Knockout, Submission And Fight Of The Night Bonuses - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Judo Chop: The Striking And Grappling Technique Of Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Pre-Fight Press Conference Coverage And Video - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Video: Josh Koscheck Hopes Georges St. Pierre 'Never Comes Back' From Knee Surgery - Kid Nate
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 131: UFC 143 Preview - Matt Bishop
- UFC 143 Video: Nick Diaz Not Happy With UFC Editing - Tim Burke
- UFC 143: A Look At The Ground Games of Fabricio Werdum and Roy Nelson - Ben Thapa
- UFC 143: Nick Diaz Details The Story Behind His Elite Level Conditioning - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit Betting Lines - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Video: Nick Diaz Talks Carlos Condit, Georges St. Pierre - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - FX Channel Preliminary Card Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 143: Nick Diaz Vs. Carlos Condit Defines 'Gameness' - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Undefeated Stephen Thompson Hopes To Make Case For Karate In MMA - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Facebook Preliminary Card Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 143: The Contradictory Marketing Of Nick Diaz And How The Reem May Not Be As Awesome As You Think - Ben Thapa