The prelims for UFC 143: Diaz vs. Condit wrap up with a bout in the Featherweight division. UFC and WEC veteran Dustin Poirier (11-1; 3-0 UFC) faces UFC newcomer Max Holloway (4-0; UFC Debut). This 145 pound fight is the final fight on the FX prelim card. Porier is currently the #7 ranked Featherweight in the world according to the USA Today/BE Consensus Rankings, with Holloway unranked. The prelims air on FX starting at 8 p.m. ET / 6 p.m. PT, with the PPV broadcast following at 10 p.m. ET / 7 p.m. PT.
This fight was one of those replacement for a replacement fights where injury greatly changed the plan. As first scheduled, Poirier was to face the #8 ranked Erik Koch in a great fight that would have helped determine a possible challenger to Jose Aldo. When Koch was injured, he was replaced by #22 Ricardo Lamas. Lamas was then injured, and replaced by the debuting Holloway. While the Koch vs. Poirier fight would have been nice, Holloway, though overmatched on paper, is a very exciting prospect who could make a great fight here.
How do these two stack up?
Poirier: 23 years old | 5'9" | 73" reach
Holloway: 20 years old | 5'11" | 70" reach
What have these two done recently?
How did these two get here?
Dustin "The Diamond" Poirier started his career fighting as a Lightweight in the regional circuit in Louisiana, where he trains with UFC veteran Tim Credeur. In 2010 he made the jump to the WEC as an undefeated prospect. A loss to Danny Castillo in his WEC debut led to him dropping down to Featherweight, where he has gone a perfect 4-0 in the WEC and UFC combined, with big wins over Josh Grispi and Pablo Garza among others. Poirier has a wild, highly aggressive style that has won him a lot of fans among the hardcore MMA fan base, but has yet to have that breakout performance that breaks through to the more casual fans.
Max "Blessed" Holloway will be stepping into the cage for only the 5th time when he faces Poirier. At 20 years old, he is now the youngest fighter on the current UFC roster. Holloway is 4-0, with all his fights coming in his home of Hawaii, and has a very strong highlight reel that suggests a nice future in MMA. In our 2012 Scouting Report, Holloway finished #7 in the Featherweight division, with Leland Roling praising his aggressive striking and his conditioning. He has fought against some solid competition, but he is facing an absolutely huge step up in competition here. He has a lot of potential - the question is can he capitalize on this massive opportunity?
Why should you care?
Poirier is known to UFC fans for bringing the excitement, and after Saturday, I expect Holloway could have that same reputation. This should be an incredibly fun throwdown, and a possible fight of the night (though on this card, there are a lot of fights up for that bonus).
You can catch morepreview content from Bloody Elbow after the jump.
- UFC 143 Judo Chop: Fabricio Werdum Striking Analysis - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 143 'Diaz Vs. Condit' Exclusive Weigh-Ins Photo Gallery - Matthew Roth
- Super Bowl XLVI Video: NFL Players Pick The Winners of UFC 143 - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143 Weigh-In Results: Carlos Condit 169, Nick Diaz 169 - Tim Burke
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Renan Barao Vs. Scott Jorgensen Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit Staff Predictions - Tim Burke
- Frank Mir Thinks UFC 143's Fabricio Werdum Is Heavyweight's Best Grappler - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143 Weigh-In Video And Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Video: Watch Full Countdown Show On Bloody Elbow - Josh Nason
- UFC 143 Judo Chop: Carlos Condit Lands A Flying Knee KO - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC 143: Dana White 'No One Knew GSP At One Time Either' - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143: Details Of The New PPV Opening Montage, RIP Gladiator Man - Matthew Roth
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Ed Herman Vs. Clifford Starks Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 143: Picking Knockout, Submission And Fight Of The Night Bonuses - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 143 Judo Chop: The Striking And Grappling Technique Of Nick Diaz - Kid Nate
- UFC 143 Pre-Fight Press Conference Coverage And Video - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Video: Josh Koscheck Hopes Georges St. Pierre 'Never Comes Back' From Knee Surgery - Kid Nate
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 131: UFC 143 Preview - Matt Bishop
- UFC 143 Video: Nick Diaz Not Happy With UFC Editing - Tim Burke
- UFC 143: A Look At The Ground Games of Fabricio Werdum and Roy Nelson - Ben Thapa
- UFC 143: Nick Diaz Details The Story Behind His Elite Level Conditioning - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit Betting Lines - Tim Burke
- UFC 143 Video: Nick Diaz Talks Carlos Condit, Georges St. Pierre - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - FX Channel Preliminary Card Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 143: Nick Diaz Vs. Carlos Condit Defines 'Gameness' - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Undefeated Stephen Thompson Hopes To Make Case For Karate In MMA - Kid Nate
- UFC 143: Diaz Vs. Condit - Facebook Preliminary Card Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 143: The Contradictory Marketing Of Nick Diaz And How The Reem May Not Be As Awesome As You Think - Ben Thapa