Before the UFC 143 weigh ins go live, the UFC is holding a question and answer session with welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre for the Fight Club Members. Bloody Elbow's Matthew Roth is on hand and will provide live updates of the questions as well as the answers from the Mandalay Bay Events Center.
St. Pierre was originally scheduled to defend his welterweight title against Nick Diaz before suffering a severe knee injury that required invasive surgery. The champion is in the process of rehabbing his injury and expect to return to action sometime in November.
The UFC has decided to make Carlos Condit vs Nick Diaz for the interim welterweight title with a unification bout set for when St. Pierre returns to action. St. Pierre will answer questions from both the fans and media for an hour before weight ins.
The Q&A session is expected to start at 5:00 PM ET.
Updates will be after the jump...
- Nick Diaz is a very good martial artist. I think at this point he is ranked number 1 after his fight against BJ.
- Georges almosts quotes Ric Flair saying in order to be the best you have to defeat the best. He also skipped the 'WoOoOoOo'.
- This fan announces himself as 'Brad aka Jumper'. Yep...told Georges his nickname.
- Matt Hughes is an amazing fighter. I'm just concerned about his motivation. I think he still has the skills and can still kickass. It's up to him. I believe in Matt Hughes and believe he can be one of the top guys.
- Training became too much like a routine. You have to find ways to make it fun.
- I think Nick Diaz is a very smart guy. He wouldn't be able to be at the point where he is at in his career if he wasn't. I have issues too but I don't make it public. Maybe it's that he doesn't feel comfortable in front of the camera. I don't think he's a bad person. I think he's disrespectful but I don't think he's a bad person.
- Fan shows up with a Cesar Gracie shirt and sign and asks what GSP will do when Nick kicks his ass.
- Goldie doing his GSP impression. Says "I will 'it 'im and 'urt 'im"
- Goldia just killed some heckling fans. Said this is why you don't day drink. Those free drinks at the table aren't free because you just lost $80.
- Georges says he works around at 188-190 and will need to gain another 10 pounds of muscle if he will move up to 185. There are options since he can also do catch weight fights as well.
- Goldie comments that Anderson used to fight at 167 when he was in Japan (Shooto)
- Georges says that training with 205ers is different than a fight. He does well training with the bigger guys but he has the speed advantage. Says that asking that question is like asking who will win between Spiderman and Batman.
- Georges is asked if he feels that not jumping up in weight will hurt his legacy. Fan brings up BJ and Randy Couture. Georges responds that they often didn't find success and if he is going to do something he needs ot do it to win.
- Goldie says that the Stanley Cup will be Rangers vs Sharks. Predicts Sharks win the cup. Boos a fan who brings up the Blackhawks.