Photo via Esther Lin of MMA Fighting
Following the news that GSP is likely to face Nick Diaz next, Dana White has a message for Johny Hendricks
Shortly after Thursday's UFC On Fox 5 press conference, Ariel Helwani got word from Dana White that they want to book Nick Diaz as Georges St. Pierre's next contender to the Welterweight throne. White claims that St. Pierre specifically requested the fight. The news was met with a mix of criticism and excitement from fans and fighters alike.
Johny Hendricks was particularly upset with the announcement. Hendricks is on a 5 fight win streak including 3 consecutive victories over top 10 opponents in the last 11 months. He capped off that streak by knocking out Martin Kampmann in under a minute at UFC 154. Since then he's been campaigning for his own shot at the 170 lb. title saying he'd rather sit out than fight in anything but a championship bout.
He immediately took to Twitter after hearing that Diaz had somehow jumped to the front of the line:
Asking all fans to let Dana White know you don't agree! GSP says he wants Diaz next. @danawhite says "that's probably the fight we'll make"— Johny Hendricks (@JohnyHendricks) December 6, 2012
It didn't take long for Dana to take notice and assure Hendricks that his accomplishments haven't gone unnoticed:
@johnyhendricks I agree that u deserve it and u will get ur shot— Dana White (@danawhite) December 7, 2012
While this may offer some consolation to Johny, he's still justified in feeling jilted. In the time that he's strung together 3 wins over top competition, Diaz has lost an interim title fight and spent the rest of the year out of action due to suspension. While Dana will push the story that GSP demanded to fight Diaz, the only reason the UFC wants the fight is because they believe it will significantly raise the PPV buyrate.