The UFC makes its first ever trip to China this Saturday, with UFC on FUEL 6 taking place at the CotaiArena in Macau, a special administrative region of China. Rich Franklin and Cung Le, former middleweight champions for the UFC and Strikeforce respectively, will battle in the main event. But before we get to that, we'll cover the night's preliminary card, which airs exclusively on the UFC's Facebook page at 7:40 AM ET/4:40 AM PT before the FUEL TV main card commences at 9:00 AM ET/6:00 AM PT.
There was a late-scratch to the prelims as Hyun Gyu Lim was deemed medically unfit to fight David Mitchell in a welterweight bout. Mitchell was paid his show money.
Originally, "Bruce Leroy" was scheduled to fight on the main card against Kyung Ho Kang, but Kang's injury, leading to the debut of Motonobu Tezuka, has bumped this bout to the prelims. Caceres is a TUF 12 alum, but he was always oversized at lightweight and dropped to featherweight. He dropped two in a row there, but at bantamweight he's found more success, winning 2 of 3 with the lone loss a controversial split decision against Edwin Figueroa. Japan's Tezuka has won 12 out of his last 13 and is predominantly a ground fighter. Three of his four defeats are by submission, but those all came early in his career. Caceres is the favorite, but short-notice fights are never a slam dunk to predict.
Brazilian John Lineker is looking to officially make his flyweight debut after missing weight the last time around against Louis Gaudinot. That fight won FOTN honors at UFC on FOX 3, but the 22-year-old Lineker was on the wrong end of a guillotine choke. Urushitani was regarded as one of the best flyweights out of Japan and was entered into the UFC's four-man tournament, but he was dominated by Joseph Benavidez en route to a 2nd round TKO loss. Both mean are in need of a win, but more for Urushitani who is 36 years old and slowly seeing his chances at contending fading away.
DeBlass is a Brazilian jiu-jitsu black belt who holds a submission over former UFC fighter Sean Salmon. He was signed by the UFC for a very short notice fight with Cyrille Diabate at UFC on FUEL 2, and lost by majority decision. DeBlass was slated for a fight with Nick Penner before Penner was pulled from the card with an injury. Now DeBlass drops to middleweight where he meets Japan's Riki Fukuda, who is coming off a decision loss to Costa Philippou at UFC 148. Fukuda is 1-2 on paper but is essentially 2-1 in the eyes of the UFC, as he was given his win bonus in his debut after a controversial decision loss to Nick Ring.
UFC on Fuel TV 6preview content from Bloody Elbow:
- UFC on Fuel TV 6 Fight Card - Mookie Alexander
- Bloody Elbow staff picks and predictions - Tim Burke
- Dissection: Thiago Silva vs. Stanislav Nedkov - Dallas Winston
- Dissection: Dong Hyun Kim vs. Paulo Thiago - Dallas Winston
- Dissection: Takanori Gomi vs. Mac Danzig - Dallas Winston
- Dissection: Tiequan Zhang vs. Jon Tuck - Dallas Winston
- Dissection: Alex Caceres vs. Motonobu Tezuka - Dallas Winston
- Dissection: Prelim Card - Dallas Winston
- Weigh-in results - Brent Brookhouse
- Hyun Gyu Lim out of UFC on Fuel TV 6 - Tim Burke
- Paulo Thiago's daunting WW schedule continues - Mookie Alexander
- UFC on Fuel TV 6 betting lines - Tim Burke
- Video: Nate and Dallas preview UFC Macao
- Judo Chop: Gomi vs. Kawajiri - Jack Slack
- Judo Chop: Anderson Silva, Cung Le and the side kick - Jack Slack