Tracy Lee, Combat Lifestyle
The hottest free agent in all of MMA right now might be Eddie Alvarez, but it seems that the UFC isn't in much of a rush to sign him. That's if you believe the words of Bellator's CEO, anyway. Bjorn Rebney was a guest on MMA Weekly Radio and stated that the former Bellator lightweight champion still hasn't received an offer from Zuffa:
"I talked to Ed Sunday and there’s really no update in terms of us having received an offer from Ed through the UFC, so we don’t have an offer in front of us to match at this point," Bellator CEO Bjorn Rebney told MMAWeekly Radio on Wednesday.
That seems a bit odd, especially considering that Dana White tweeted him right after his last fight, and has said a few times that he'd love to bring him in. Maybe he got scared off by the big guarantee he gave another Bellator fighter, Hector Lombard, that hasn't exactly paid off so far? Who knows. Rebney's fine with Alvarez waiting on offer to gauge his market value though, since they still hold matching rights:
"Ed wants to see what the UFC would put down on paper in terms of a guarantee, and I would do the same if I were Ed. So we’ll see what they offer and then I’ll sit down with our partners at Viacom and Spike and we’ll make a quick determination as to whether we’re going to match that offer, and we’ll figure out, Ed will either be fighting inside of our circle or inside of their Octagon."
White's dealing with a lot right now, but hopefully they can get something done with Alvarez soon.