Following up on his fight wish list from last week, Koscheck says Cesar Gracie contacted him about a fight with Nick Diaz. They want the fight on Superbowl weekend but there's some hurdles to clear first.
Just last week, Josh Koscheck listed the Welterweights he'd like to fight when he returns in 2013. The first name he brought up was the always controversial Nick Diaz. Now it looks like he's getting some attention.
Koscheck put this up on his Twitter this afternoon:
Cesar is calling 4 me the fight Diaz in Feb. Super Bowl weekend! What you guy think? I am DOWN! Don't be scared Homie! #559 lol— Josh Koscheck (@JoshKoscheck) October 29, 2012
Obviously, there's one big hole in Cesar's proposal. On February 3 when the event is expected to take place, Nick Diaz will still be under suspension for failing a post UFC 143 drug test. Diaz's suspension won't be lifted until February 4 and after that he'll need to re-apply for a license. The only hope for a fight on the Super Bowl card is that the request Diaz's attorney submitted for judicial review turns over the suspension and fine levied by the NSAC. As of yet, we have no word on the outcome of the review.
Personally, I'm a fan of this match up. Dana White has already said that Nick will need a win before he gets a shot at Welterweight champion Georges St. Pierre or a rematch against Carlos Condit depending on the outcome of UFC 154. Koscheck presents a challenge in the one style that Diaz's resume glaringly lacks - a powerful wrestler. He's also a well-known face at the top of the division and if Diaz wins he should be right back "in the mix".