Kevin C. Cox
All of us remember a few marquee MMA matches that never ended up happening for some reason or another. Well, Sherdog put together a list of their top ten, and it's pretty damn good. They've got the staples like Randy Couture vs. Fedor Emelianenko and Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva (which did eventually end up happening), but they've also included some rather interesting ones that might have been forgotten about by some. Here's their list:
1. Randy Couture vs. Fedor Emelianenko
2. Kazushi Sakuraba vs. Rickson Gracie
3. Ken Shamrock vs. Frank Shamrock
4. Fedor Emelianenko vs. Josh Barnett
5. Chuck Liddell vs. Wanderlei Silva
6. Frank Shamrock vs. Kazushi Sakuraba
7. Fedor Emelianenko vs. Brock Lesnar
8. Anderson Silva vs. Matt Hughes
9. Tito Ortiz vs. Dana White
10. Randy Couture vs. Wanderlei Silva
Each one contains a full-page story about the background for each failed fight, which is interesting. For example, a lot of newer fans don't know that Anderson was supposed to come in at UFC 36 to face Hughes for the UFC welterweight title, or might not remember Couture and Silva trying to hype a bout between the two of them in the aftermath of UFC 49. It's an excellent read, and I highly suggest you check it out.
In addition to that, what bouts did they miss?