Photo by Josh Hedges/Zuffa LLC/Zuffa LLC via Getty Images
In the main event of Rashad Evans dominated every facet of his five-round bout with Phil Davis and won a unanimous decision. All three judges had it 50-45. Davis was never really in it, looking tentative early and unable to figure Rashad out. Evans was the aggressor in the first two rounds, catching a Davis kick and sweeping him to the floor in each stanza. He was also able to lock Davis in a crucifix in both rounds, but couldn't capitalize on them.,
The third round saw Davis get an early and late takedown, but he was reversed both times by Evans and Davis ate a bunch of strikes in between the two instances. Nonetheless, it was probably the best round of the fight for Phil. The last two rounds were pretty much all Evans, with a tired Davis trying to come up with something on the feet but failing and Evans looking more aggressively for the finish. He never got it, but it was a thoroughly impressive performance from Evans that earned him a shot at his nemesis Jon Jones at UFC 145.
What was the high spot of this fight?
The crucifix in the first round. Evans had it locked on tight and Davis was flailing in every direction humanly possible to try and get out. It was a cool visual.
Where do these guys go from here?
Like Sonnen before him, Evans knew what he was fighting for in this bout - a date in the octagon with Jon Jones at UFC 145 in Atlanta. He came through in the clutch, and will now get a chance to regain the UFC light heavyweight title while battling against his former friend and training partner.
Davis will go back to the drawing board. It was the first loss of his career and he's still a top-level prospect, so I wouldn't expect him to lose a lot of momentum from this. There a few different directions the UFC could go in terms of Mr. Wonderful's next fight, but a bout with Lyoto Machida would definitely be interesting.
Watch it now, later or never?
Later. The bout had some good moments, but the majority of the 25 minutes weren't overly exciting and knowing the result is probably enough for most.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC on Fox 2 in the full entry.
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Demian Maia Vs. Chris Weidman Fight Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Chael Sonnen Pays Homage To 'Superstar' Billy Graham - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Chael Sonnen Vs Michael Bisping Video Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Rashad Evans Vs Phil Davis Video Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results And Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC On Fox 2 Post-Fight Press Conference Video - Tim Burke
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 129: UFC On Fox Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Rashad Evans Earns Title Shot With Win Over Phil Davis - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2: Live Results And Play-By-Play For Main Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Chael Sonnen Earns Title Shot With Victory Over Michael Bisping - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Chris Weidman Wins A Hard Fought Decision Over Demian Maia - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Photo: Nik Lentz' Eye After Evan Dunham Fight - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Evan Dunham Defeats Nik Lentz By Doctor Stoppage - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2: Live Results And Play-By-Play For Fuel TV Undercard - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Mike Russow Decisions Jon Olav Einemo - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Cub Swanson Picks Up Win With KO Of George Roop - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Charles Oliveira Submits Eric Wisely With A Calf Slicer - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Michael Johnson Defeats Shane Roller By Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Lavar Johnson Successfully Makes UFC Debut With KO - Matthew Roth