In the first main card bout of the UFC on Fox 2 card, uber-prospect Chris Weidman picked up a unanimous decision win over Demian Maia in the biggest fight of his career. The result was originally announced as a split decision, but it was an an error and Weidman actually did take all three cards with scores of 30-27, 29-28, and 29-28. It was a pretty ugly fight, with both fighters gassing early in the third round. Weidman took the fight on just 11 days notice so he has an excuse, but Maia had no reason to look as sapped as he did.
The bout started off fairly even, with Maia looking to land his overhand left and Weidman countering well with jabs and solid movement. Weidman managed to outstrike Maia and got a very brief takedown near the end of the round, which locked up the stanza in his favor. The second was more of the same, but this time Weidman got the takedown early. Maia got up quickly, but was outstruck for a large portion of the stanza. Maia rebounded late in the round with some solid shots, but Weidman put him on the ground once again. The last round was downright ugly, with each fighter out of gas and missing with flailing punches a lot. Fans were initially shocked that Maia got a judge's card, but that turned out to be a mistake.
What was the high spot of this fight?
The final horn? To be honest, there wasn't a whole lot of excitement here. Weidman getting the takedown late in the second round and actually working for a submission on the ADCC champ was kind of interesting though. I guess.
Where do these guys go from here?
Despite the less-than-impressive performance, Weidman's stock just skyrocketed by defeating the number six middleweight in the world. He has an excuse for gassing like he did (being a late replacement) and he still looked impressive at times. He wasn't afraid of Maia on the mat at all, and was actually looking for subs himself when he got the chance. He will definitely get another top ten opponent next, and hopefully he gets a full camp to prepare this time. If Brian Stann gets through Alessio Sakara in April, a battle of the All Americans would be pretty interesting.
Maia is in a very bad spot at the moment. He's 1-2 in his last three bouts, and he gassed badly here. He should actually consider himself lucky to a degree, because that version of Demian Maia would have got plastered by original opponent Michael Bisping. The one bout that fans still want to see Maia in is a matchup with Rousimar Palhares. The UFC tried to make that bout for this card, but Palhares turned it down because he needed some time off. That's the bout they need to go back to for Maia's next visit to the octagon.
Watch it now, later or never?
Never. I'm shocked I would say that about a Weidman fight considering what a bright prospect he is, but this was a dreadful way to kick off the Fox broadcast and you're not missing much by skipping it. Go find the video of Cub Swanson knocking George Roop's head off instead.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC on Fox 2 in the full entry.
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Demian Maia Vs. Chris Weidman Fight Video Highlights - Anton Tabuena
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Chael Sonnen Pays Homage To 'Superstar' Billy Graham - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Chael Sonnen Vs Michael Bisping Video Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Rashad Evans Vs Phil Davis Video Fight Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results And Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC On Fox 2 Post-Fight Press Conference Video - Tim Burke
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 129: UFC On Fox Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Rashad Evans Earns Title Shot With Win Over Phil Davis - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2: Live Results And Play-By-Play For Main Card - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Chael Sonnen Earns Title Shot With Victory Over Michael Bisping - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Chris Weidman Wins A Hard Fought Decision Over Demian Maia - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Photo: Nik Lentz' Eye After Evan Dunham Fight - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Evan Dunham Defeats Nik Lentz By Doctor Stoppage - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2: Live Results And Play-By-Play For Fuel TV Undercard - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Mike Russow Decisions Jon Olav Einemo - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Cub Swanson Picks Up Win With KO Of George Roop - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Charles Oliveira Submits Eric Wisely With A Calf Slicer - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Michael Johnson Defeats Shane Roller By Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC On Fox 2 Results: Lavar Johnson Successfully Makes UFC Debut With KO - Matthew Roth