(16-1-1, 11-1-1 UFC) meets (9-0, 5-0 UFC).
Evans occupies the 3 spot at lightweight in the USA Today/BE Consensus Rankings, while Davis is at number 7. Dana White has already stated that if Evans can get the win and escape the fight injury-free, he will finally get his shot at current champ and former friend Jon Jones. White has been non-committal about whether Davis would earn a shot with a win, but he certainly wouldn't be far off if he doesn't get it right away. This light heavyweight fight will be the main event of the evening and will be aired live on Fox. The broadcast begins at 8 p.m. ET/5 p.m. PT.
How do these two stack up?
Evans: 32 years old | 5'11" | 75" reach
Davis: 27 years old | 6'2" | 79" reach
What have these two done recently?
How did these two get here?
"Suga" Rashad Evans has been in the UFC for over six years now, and has just one loss on his record. He was the TUF 2 winner at heavyweight, but immediately dropped back down to his natural 205 pound division after the show. He managed to pick up wins and clips for his highlight reel over the next few years, with the only blip on his record coming in a controversial bout with Tito Ortiz that went to a draw. After a huge knockout of former champ Chuck Liddell, Evans earned a title shot against Forrest Griffin and took the belt home with a third-round TKO win. However, he lost the first bout of his career in his very next fight, getting knocked out by Lyoto Machida. After beating Thiago Silva and Quinton Jackson, Rashad was scheduled to face Mauricio Rua for the title at UFC 126 but an injury forced him out, and then-teammate Jon Jones stepped in and won the belt. Their relationship deteriorated, Evans left their camp, and the two are now mortal enemies. They were scheduled to meet at UFC 133, but Jones got injured this time. Davis stepped in, but got injured himself and bowed out too. Evans met and defeated Tito Ortiz instead. Rashad must now get through Davis to finally meet his former friend for the belt.
"Phil "Mr. Wonderful" Davis was the 2007 NCAA Division 1 wrestling champion at 197 pounds, and made the transition to MMA shortly after his wrestling career ended. After just four fights in the minors, he stepped into a UFC cage for the first time at UFC 109 and defeated Brian Stann by decision. His next outing at UFC 112 was even more impressive, where he submitted fellow top prospect (and now current training partner) Alexander Gustafsson with an anaconda choke. A decision win over Rodney Wallace and slick kimura submission win over Tim Boetsch erned him his first shot at a main event fight, and at UFC Fight Night 25, he defeated Antonio Rogerio Nogueira by decision. After briefly being scheduled to face Evans at UFC 133, Davis injured his knee and was forced onto the sidelines. This will be his first bout in 10 months, and is clearly the most important fight of his career to date.
Why should you care?
Even if you ignore the fact that it's two of the best 205er's in the world competing in a five-round bout on network TV, it's still an excellent style matchup and should be pretty exciting. Can Rashad control Phil's wrestling? Can Davis avoid Rashad's heavy hands? Will the both have the cardio to go five if necessary? This bout has all sorts of storylines, and it's a perfect main event for Fox.
You can catch morepreview content from Bloody Elbow after the jump.
- UFC On Fox 2: Michael Bisping Flips Off Fans At Weigh Ins, Nearly Loses Sponsor - Kid Nate
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 128: UFC On Fox Preview
- UFC On FOX 2 Evans Vs. Davis: Fight Card And Staff Predictions
- UFC On Fox 2 Weigh-In Video And Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Haters Be Damned, Rashad Evans Is A Big Star - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: Dana White On Chael's Fake Belt, Fox Production, The Internet - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: WWE Champion CM Punk On Brock Lesnar, Chael Sonnen Walkout - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: Complete Pre-Fight Press Conference - Kid Nate
- UFC On Fox 2: Fuel TV Prelims Dissection (Part Two) - Dallas Winston
- UFC On Fox 2: Phil Davis Striking Analysis - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC On Fox 2: Evans vs. Davis Betting Lines - Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Chael Sonnen Does Interview With UFC Fake Belt, Calls Kenny Rice A Liar - Kid Nate
- Demian Maia Thinks You Only Need Two Brain Cells To Know Chael Sonnen Is Joking - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC On Fox 2: Fuel TV Prelims Dissection (Part One) - Dallas Winston
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: A Day In The Life Of Phil Davis - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: The Time For Joe Rogan To Shine Has Arrived - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: Chael Sonnen's Coach 'Bisping Breaks Easily' - Matthew Roth
- Phil Davis Discusses Differences From Rashad Evans' Wrestling Game - Brent Brookhouse
- Michael Bisping Skewers Chael Sonnen On Inside MMA - Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Dana White Releases First Video Blog - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: Middleweight Division State of the Union - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC on Fox: Dana White Guarantees Chael Sonnen Will Face Anderson Silva With Win - Brent Brookhouse