UFC on Fox 2 features a heavyweight tilt between Joey Beltran (13-6; 3-3 UFC) and Lavar Johnson (15-5; 0-0 UFC). This is the first fight on Fuel TV prelims. Neither man is currently ranked in the USA Today / MMA Nation Consensus MMA Rankings, though with them being heavyweights, that could change after a solid performance Saturday night. The Fuel TV prelims begin this Saturday, January 28 at 5 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. PT, with the main card following on Fox at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT.
Heavyweight is notorious for having the shallowest talent pool in MMA as most big athletes tend to find themselves in other, more lucrative sports. That being said, the two men squaring off in this fight always leave everything they have in the cage and that shouldn't change on Saturday night.
How do these two stack up?
Beltran: 30 years old | 6'1"
Johnson: 34 years old | 6'4" | 82" reach
What have these two done recently?
How did these two get here?
Joey Beltran attempted to make his way to the UFC through the Ultimate Fighter but he never made it onto the show. Instead, he was a last minute replacement for Mustafa Al-Turk who was set to fight Rolles Gracie. Gracie gassed out early and Beltran picked up the TKO win. Though he's found some success in the UFC, Beltran has never been able to defeat stronger opponents. In his last outing against Stipe Miocic, Beltran had to rely on his toughness to get him through the fight.
Lavar Johnson finds himself in the UFC after the Strikeforce heavyweight division was shut down. While he was 3-2 in the promotion, he never really was able to take the next big step to become a star in the heavyweight division. Johnson is the first of the Strikeforce heavyweights to make his UFC debut.
Why you should care?
If you're looking for a highly skilling, hotly-contested heavyweight bout, this isn't the one for you. But when you put two heavy-handed fighters in the cage, there's sure to be entertainment. Both Johnson and Beltran are unbelievably tough and there is a chance for both fighters to end the fight with one punch. Also, Bruce Buffer is going to have to announce 'Lavar "BIIIIIIIIIIGGGG" Johnson!' which is sure to be a highlight of his career.
More UFC on Fox 2 preview coverage from Bloody Elbow after the jump.
SBN coverage of UFC on Fox 2
- UFC On Fox 2: Michael Bisping Flips Off Fans At Weigh Ins, Nearly Loses Sponsor - Kid Nate
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 128: UFC On Fox Preview
- UFC On FOX 2 Evans Vs. Davis: Fight Card And Staff Predictions
- UFC On Fox 2 Weigh-In Video And Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Haters Be Damned, Rashad Evans Is A Big Star - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: Dana White On Chael's Fake Belt, Fox Production, The Internet - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: WWE Champion CM Punk On Brock Lesnar, Chael Sonnen Walkout - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: Complete Pre-Fight Press Conference - Kid Nate
- UFC On Fox 2: Fuel TV Prelims Dissection (Part Two) - Dallas Winston
- UFC On Fox 2: Phil Davis Striking Analysis - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC On Fox 2: Evans vs. Davis Betting Lines - Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Chael Sonnen Does Interview With UFC Fake Belt, Calls Kenny Rice A Liar - Kid Nate
- Demian Maia Thinks You Only Need Two Brain Cells To Know Chael Sonnen Is Joking - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC On Fox 2: Fuel TV Prelims Dissection (Part One) - Dallas Winston
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: A Day In The Life Of Phil Davis - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: The Time For Joe Rogan To Shine Has Arrived - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: Chael Sonnen's Coach 'Bisping Breaks Easily' - Matthew Roth
- Phil Davis Discusses Differences From Rashad Evans' Wrestling Game - Brent Brookhouse
- Michael Bisping Skewers Chael Sonnen On Inside MMA - Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Dana White Releases First Video Blog - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: Middleweight Division State of the Union - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC on Fox: Dana White Guarantees Chael Sonnen Will Face Anderson Silva With Win - Brent Brookhouse