UFC on Fox 2 features action in the Featherweight division, as George Roop (12-8-1; 1-2 UFC) faces Cub Swanson (15-5; 0-1 UFC). This fight is part of the Fuel TV prelim card. Neither man is currently ranked in the USA TODAY / MMA Nation Consensus MMA Rankings, though I would imagine Roop is not far outside the top 25. The Fuel TV prelims begin this Saturday, January 28 at 5 p.m. ET / 2 p.m. PT, with the main card following on Fox at 8 p.m. ET / 5 p.m. PT.
Featherweight is one of the new UFC divisions that is still developing, and as a result, the title picture remains wide open. So while neither Roop nor Swanson are currently ranked, either man could be right in the mix with a few impressive wins. Look for both to try and make a statement in this fight, proving that they belong in the competitive 145 pound ranks.
How do these two stack up?
Roop: 30 years old | 6'1" | 72" reach
Swanson: 28 years old | 5'7"
What have these two done recently?
How did these two get here?
Roop came into the UFC through The Ultimate Fighter during the Team Mir vs. Team Nogueira season. Since then, he's been a fixture of the Zuffa scene, both in the UFC and WEC. He's an interesting case where he has been in a lot of high profile fights, and as a whole I would consider his Zuffa career a success, yet he's only 3-5-1 under the UFC/WEC banner. Despite that record, he is a dangerous fighter - he is the only man to stop Chan Sung Jung, he stopped former #1 contender Josh Grispi, and he very nearly spoiled the much hyped debut of Hatsu Hioki. Roop has a lot to offer - he just needs to find consistency.
Swanson is a long-time WEC veteran who has faced many of that organization's top names - Jens Pulver, Chad Mendes, Jose Aldo - but has more often that not come up on the losing end. He made his UFC debut at the first Fox show, losing to Ricardo Lamas. He's a game fighter, who can challenge anyone, but just can't seem to pull the trigger and get into the winner's column. He's probably fighting for his job here.
Why should you care?
Featherweights tend to deliver fun fights, and Roop is often good for some kind of highlight. Add in the pressure on both to not drop a second in a row, and this could be a very fun scrap, even if it doesn't have a ton of divisional relevance.
More UFC on Fox 2 preview coverage from Bloody Elbow after the jump.
- UFC On Fox 2: Michael Bisping Flips Off Fans At Weigh Ins, Nearly Loses Sponsor - Kid Nate
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 128: UFC On Fox Preview
- UFC On FOX 2 Evans Vs. Davis: Fight Card And Staff Predictions
- UFC On Fox 2 Weigh-In Video And Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Haters Be Damned, Rashad Evans Is A Big Star - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: Dana White On Chael's Fake Belt, Fox Production, The Internet - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: WWE Champion CM Punk On Brock Lesnar, Chael Sonnen Walkout - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: Complete Pre-Fight Press Conference - Kid Nate
- UFC On Fox 2: Fuel TV Prelims Dissection (Part Two) - Dallas Winston
- UFC On Fox 2: Phil Davis Striking Analysis - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC On Fox 2: Evans vs. Davis Betting Lines - Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Chael Sonnen Does Interview With UFC Fake Belt, Calls Kenny Rice A Liar - Kid Nate
- Demian Maia Thinks You Only Need Two Brain Cells To Know Chael Sonnen Is Joking - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC On Fox 2: Fuel TV Prelims Dissection (Part One) - Dallas Winston
- UFC On Fox 2 Video: A Day In The Life Of Phil Davis - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: The Time For Joe Rogan To Shine Has Arrived - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: Chael Sonnen's Coach 'Bisping Breaks Easily' - Matthew Roth
- Phil Davis Discusses Differences From Rashad Evans' Wrestling Game - Brent Brookhouse
- Michael Bisping Skewers Chael Sonnen On Inside MMA - Tim Burke
- UFC On Fox 2: Dana White Releases First Video Blog - Josh Nason
- UFC On Fox 2: Middleweight Division State of the Union - Fraser Coffeen
- UFC on Fox: Dana White Guarantees Chael Sonnen Will Face Anderson Silva With Win - Brent Brookhouse