In the third bout of the UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem undercard, Dong Hyun Kim got back in the win column with a convincing victory over Canadian Sean Pierson. All three judges scored it 30-27. Despite both fighters having the same reach according to how the UFC measures it (fingertip to fingertip), it was obvious that Kim had the length to frustrate Pierson. Sean kept coming up short, and Kim didn't. He didn't with his kicks either.
After a close-ish first round that saw Pierson reverse a judo throw into an advantageous position at the end of the stanza, Kim came out in the second and stepped it up. And with 10 seconds to go, he caught Pierson with a front kick that had him on Davie Street. Pierson rode out the round, and was competitive in the third, but it was definitely Kim's fight.
What was the high spot of this fight?
The Machida/Anderson-style front kick late in the second that messed up Pierson something bad.
Where do these guys go from here?
Kim is still an upper-tier welterweight, and the loss to Carlos Condit doesn't really change that. This was another good win for him, and he deserves more good matchups. He's taken out strikers, wrestlers, and everything in between. Match him up a guy just outside the elite, a guy like Jake Shields or Thiago Alves. Let's see what happens.
Pierson is better than he might have looked against Kim. He just couldn't get to him with his punches, and suffered the consequences. He has the talent to float in the middle of the division, but at 35, he doesn't have time on his side. 1-2 in the UFC doesn't look good, but both losses were to top competition. He'll get another shot.
Watch it now, later or never?
Later. Kim looked good, and it's not a boring fight. There are just better options from the card.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 141 in the full entry.
- UFC 141: Full Video of Post-Fight Press Conference - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar's Performance 'Surprised' Champ Junior dos Santos - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Predicted Liver Kick Finish - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Does Brock Lesnar's Retirement Make Him 'The Ultimate Quitter'? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Lesnar vs Overeem Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Told Dana White He Might Have A Broken Rib - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 141 Results Video: Nate Diaz Vs. Donald Cerrone Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results Video: Brock Lesnar Vs. Alistair Overeem Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Officially Retires Follow Alistair Overeem Loss - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Retires Brock Lesnar In UFC Debut - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 117: UFC 141 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 141 Post-Fight Press Conference Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 141 Results: Nate Diaz Brutalizes Donald Cerrone To A Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Johny Hendricks Knocks Out Jon Fitch In The First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alexander Gustafsson Knocks Out Vladimir Matyushenko In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jimy Hettes Dominates Nam Phan to a Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Ross Pearson Victorious Over Junior Assuncao In Featherweight Debut - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Danny Castillo Earns Split Decision Over Anthony Njokuani - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Dong Hyun Kim Defeats Sean Pierson by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jacob Volkmann Defeats Efrain Escudero by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth