Image via Esther Lin
In the opening preliminary bout of UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem, Diego Nunes emerged victorious from a back-and-forth battle with former WEC featherweight title challenger Manny Gamburyan. Nunes won the first quite clearly, but got rocked in the second and had to hold on for a while after that. He took over again in the third though, and cruised to a unanimous decision win. All three judges had it 29-28.
What was the high spot of this fight?
Probably Gamburyan catching Nunes flush in the second, which stunned Diego and had him on wobbly feet for a good minute. It wasn't enough though.
Where do these guys go from here?
Nunes now sits comfortably in the top four of the 145 pound division (at least in the UFC), but it's tough to figure out what he gets next. His teammate is the champ. A bout with Hatsu Hioki seems like an excellent fit, but Hioki has to defeat Bart Palaszewski at UFC 144 first. I guess Nunes could face the winner, but a bout with Hioki seems so much better.
Gamburyan has now lost three in a row. Normally a guy would be in danger of losing his job at that point, but considering the competition he's faced and the history he has with the organization, I think he'll get another chance. I have absolutely no idea who they'd stick in there with him though. Maybe fellow UFC 141 loser Nam Phan?
Watch it now, later or never?
Later. The main card was full of entertaining finishes. This wasn't a bad fight by any means, but there is better stuff to watch first.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 141 in the full entry.
- UFC 141: Full Video of Post-Fight Press Conference - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar's Performance 'Surprised' Champ Junior dos Santos - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Predicted Liver Kick Finish - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Does Brock Lesnar's Retirement Make Him 'The Ultimate Quitter'? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Lesnar vs Overeem Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Told Dana White He Might Have A Broken Rib - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 141 Results Video: Nate Diaz Vs. Donald Cerrone Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results Video: Brock Lesnar Vs. Alistair Overeem Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Officially Retires Follow Alistair Overeem Loss - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Retires Brock Lesnar In UFC Debut - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 117: UFC 141 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 141 Post-Fight Press Conference Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 141 Results: Nate Diaz Brutalizes Donald Cerrone To A Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Johny Hendricks Knocks Out Jon Fitch In The First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alexander Gustafsson Knocks Out Vladimir Matyushenko In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jimy Hettes Dominates Nam Phan to a Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Ross Pearson Victorious Over Junior Assuncao In Featherweight Debut - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Danny Castillo Earns Split Decision Over Anthony Njokuani - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Dong Hyun Kim Defeats Sean Pierson by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jacob Volkmann Defeats Efrain Escudero by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth