In the opening bout of UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem, relative UFC newcomer Jim Hettes turned in an impressive performance, defeating Nam Phan. The young Featherweight took the fight via unanimous decision, with one of the most dominant set of scores you will see in MMA: 30-25, 30-25, 30-26. Hettes is now a perfect 10-0 overall, 2-0 in the UFC. Phan drops to just 1-4 in the UFC, 17-10 overall.
Early on, it looked like Hettes would get the quick stoppage win, as he came out strong. Round 1 was all Hettes with ground work and a nasty judo throw as well. Phan managed to survive the round though. As the fight continued, Hettes looked visibly tired. But to his absolute credit, he pushed through and kept up the pressure, never allowing his more experienced opponent to get in the fight. Big win for Hettes that immediately announces his presence in the Featherweight division.
What was the high spot of this fight?
That first round onslaught, from the heavy ground and pound to the judo toss. Just a lovely destruction.
Where do these guys go from here?
Tough call for Hettes. He has a big, dominant win on the PPV card of a major show, so there will be a strong temptation to fast track him up the ranks of this relatively thin division. But he's also only 24 and still obviously working on aspects of his game - notably his stand-up. He could use some time to develop, but I'm not sure he will be given it. Perhaps a fight with fellow UFC 141 victor Diego Nunes will be next.
Nam Phan is probably not going to lose his job over this, as he puts on entertaining fights, but he really needs to get on track. 1-3 in the UFC just won't cut it for long. Again, the division needs fighters, and Phan has some recognizability, but that has to be complemented by winning soon. I say they toss him an easier fight next time out, and that will be a must win for him.
Watch it now, later or never?
Later. It's totally one-sided, but an entertaining one-sided, and you'll be seeing more from Hettes.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 141 in the full entry.
- UFC 141: Full Video of Post-Fight Press Conference - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar's Performance 'Surprised' Champ Junior dos Santos - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Predicted Liver Kick Finish - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Does Brock Lesnar's Retirement Make Him 'The Ultimate Quitter'? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Lesnar vs Overeem Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Told Dana White He Might Have A Broken Rib - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 141 Results Video: Nate Diaz Vs. Donald Cerrone Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results Video: Brock Lesnar Vs. Alistair Overeem Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Officially Retires Follow Alistair Overeem Loss - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Retires Brock Lesnar In UFC Debut - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 117: UFC 141 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 141 Post-Fight Press Conference Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 141 Results: Nate Diaz Brutalizes Donald Cerrone To A Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Johny Hendricks Knocks Out Jon Fitch In The First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alexander Gustafsson Knocks Out Vladimir Matyushenko In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jimy Hettes Dominates Nam Phan to a Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Ross Pearson Victorious Over Junior Assuncao In Featherweight Debut - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Danny Castillo Earns Split Decision Over Anthony Njokuani - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Dong Hyun Kim Defeats Sean Pierson by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jacob Volkmann Defeats Efrain Escudero by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Diego Nunes Wins A Unanimous Decision Over Manny Gamburyan - Matthew Roth