In a Light Heavyweight bout at UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem, Alexander Gustafsson made a big name for himself with his 1st round TKO victory over veteran Vladimir Matyushenko. The fight was stopped at 2:35 of round 1 after a Gustafsson left hand. The 24 year old Swede is now 13-1 overall, 5-1 in the UFC, while The Janitor suffers just the 6th loss of his lengthy career, dropping to 26-6 overall.
This fight was a chance for Gustafsson to truly establish himself as a big player at 205, and he made the most of the opportunity. He showed superior stand-up through the round, using his size well. The end came as Matyushenko moved in to attack. Gustafsson timed a counter jab perfectly, catching Vlad flush as his hands were down and his momentum coming forward, and putting him out.
What was the high spot of this fight?
Clearly, the KO. Beautiful timing and execution displayed by Gustafsson.
Where do these guys go from here?
Gustafsson goes up, up, up. It's hard not to draw comparisons to the last man who defeated Matyushenko - Jon Jones. But there's a reason for those comparisons, as Gustafsson is young and seems poised for greatness. There are a lot of options for his next fight - Antonio Rogerio Nogueira, Stephan Bonnar, one of Rampage or Ryan Bader depending how that goes - but I'd most like to see him against Rich Franklin if that works with Franklin's anticipated return.
Some are calling for Matyushenko to retire after this loss. But despite being 40 and coming off this loss, I don't think he's there just yet - after all, he is just one fight removed from the big KO of Jason Brilz. There's still life in this veteran yet. I'd love to see him against Kyle Kingsbury next time out.
Watch it now, later or never?
Now. It's a short fight that welcomes a major new name to the division. Make no mistake, Gustafsson is one of THE names to watch in 2012 - start watching now.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 141 in the full entry.
- UFC 141: Full Video of Post-Fight Press Conference - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar's Performance 'Surprised' Champ Junior dos Santos - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Predicted Liver Kick Finish - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Does Brock Lesnar's Retirement Make Him 'The Ultimate Quitter'? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Lesnar vs Overeem Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Told Dana White He Might Have A Broken Rib - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 141 Results Video: Nate Diaz Vs. Donald Cerrone Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results Video: Brock Lesnar Vs. Alistair Overeem Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Officially Retires Follow Alistair Overeem Loss - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Retires Brock Lesnar In UFC Debut - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 117: UFC 141 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 141 Post-Fight Press Conference Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 141 Results: Nate Diaz Brutalizes Donald Cerrone To A Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Johny Hendricks Knocks Out Jon Fitch In The First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alexander Gustafsson Knocks Out Vladimir Matyushenko In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jimy Hettes Dominates Nam Phan to a Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Ross Pearson Victorious Over Junior Assuncao In Featherweight Debut - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Danny Castillo Earns Split Decision Over Anthony Njokuani - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Dong Hyun Kim Defeats Sean Pierson by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jacob Volkmann Defeats Efrain Escudero by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Diego Nunes Wins A Unanimous Decision Over Manny Gamburyan - Matthew Roth