In a rather shocking upset at UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem, Johny Hendricks defeated long-time #2 Welterweight Jon Fitch. And he did it in spectacular fashion, knocking Fitch out in just 12 seconds with his first punch thrown. Hendricks is now 12-1, 7-1 in the UFC, while Fitch records his first loss since losing to Georges St. Pierre back at UFC 87 and falls to 23-4-1, 1 NC overall.
For both men, this is the kind of fight that represents a clear turning point in the career. Hendricks wowed fans with his UFC debut knock out of Amir Sadollah, but has been toiling on the prelims since. This was a star making performance, and his career will literally never be the same again. For Fitch, the big talk was how he would benefit from St. Pierre's absence and could find himself finally holding UFC gold. That talk is now out the window thanks to just one punch.
What was the high spot of this fight?
The KO, naturally. It's literally Hendricks's only piece of offense in the fight, and it's spectacular.
Where do these guys go from here?
For Hendricks, something big. Yes he does have a loss to Rick Story, but he now has major momentum on his side. And with a win over Fitch on his resume, almost anyone else will feel like a step down. I'd like to see him next face Josh Koscheck in a PPV semi-main event (assuming Kos gets by Mike Pierce at UFC 143).
Fitch is in a rather precarious position suddenly. He clearly isn't going anywhere right now, but his decision based style turns off a lot of people, and it was mainly his winning ways that kept him so high up the card. I wouldn't be surprised to see him banished to the prelims next time out, perhaps against Dong Hyun Kim?
Watch it now, later or never?
Now. Like the Gustafsson fight, this one announces one of the potential break-out stars of 2012 in a huge way, while also sending one of the division's most established names crashing down the ladder.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 141 in the full entry.
- UFC 141: Full Video of Post-Fight Press Conference - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar's Performance 'Surprised' Champ Junior dos Santos - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Predicted Liver Kick Finish - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Does Brock Lesnar's Retirement Make Him 'The Ultimate Quitter'? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Lesnar vs Overeem Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Told Dana White He Might Have A Broken Rib - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 141 Results Video: Nate Diaz Vs. Donald Cerrone Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results Video: Brock Lesnar Vs. Alistair Overeem Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Officially Retires Follow Alistair Overeem Loss - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Retires Brock Lesnar In UFC Debut - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 117: UFC 141 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 141 Post-Fight Press Conference Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 141 Results: Nate Diaz Brutalizes Donald Cerrone To A Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Johny Hendricks Knocks Out Jon Fitch In The First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alexander Gustafsson Knocks Out Vladimir Matyushenko In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jimy Hettes Dominates Nam Phan to a Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Ross Pearson Victorious Over Junior Assuncao In Featherweight Debut - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Danny Castillo Earns Split Decision Over Anthony Njokuani - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Dong Hyun Kim Defeats Sean Pierson by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jacob Volkmann Defeats Efrain Escudero by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Diego Nunes Wins A Unanimous Decision Over Manny Gamburyan - Matthew Roth