In the semi-main event of UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem, Lightweights Nate Diaz and Donald Cerrone faced off in a superb technical stand-up war. In the end, Diaz emerged victorious via unanimous decision. Diaz is now on a two fight undefeated streak since returning to Lightweight earlier this year, and is 15-7 overall. Cerrone suffers the first loss of his UFC career, dropping to 17-4, 1 NC.
Heading into this fight, I felt it would be a striking clash between the Diaz brothers' style of boxing and Cerrone's Muay Thai, and that is how it played out. But in this fight, it was Diaz's boxing that reigned supreme. Diaz simply outstruck Cerrone, setting a new record for accuracy of punches en route to the win. But it was still a great fight, as Cerrone attempted to utilize his own striking to counteract the Diaz onslaught. In the end, Diaz's pace was too much, and Cerrone fell.
What was the high spot of this fight?
The whole thing was excellent, but I was a particularly big fan of round 2, where Cerrone started to figure out Diaz and find some success with his leg kicks. And for non-fighting highlights, there's always the Nate Diaz double bird to start round 3.
Where do these guys go from here?
Tough call here. As said above, Diaz is only on a 2 fight win streak at Lightweight, but his high profile win here, plus his ability to sell a fight, could move him closer to contention. Lightweight is such a tough division where every time you think someone has momentum to be the next title challenger, they get taken out - we've seen it with Jim Miller, with Dennis Siver, with Melvin Guillard, and now with Cerrone. So I'd like Nate to next face the winner of Anthony Pettis vs. Joe Lauzon, with a title shot on the line, but the trouble is - who would the champ face in the meantime? Joe Silva has his work cut out for him here.
Cerrone has a huge list of possible opponents. I'd perhaps go with the loser of Guillard vs. Miller in a few weeks. But what I'd really like to see from these two is another fight, this time main eventing on TV for 5 rounds. Doesn't have to be their next fight, but I hope it happens.
Watch it now, later or never?
Now. This was Fight of the Night and honestly, one of my picks for fight of the year. Great stuff.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 141 in the full entry.
- UFC 141: Full Video of Post-Fight Press Conference - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar's Performance 'Surprised' Champ Junior dos Santos - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Predicted Liver Kick Finish - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Does Brock Lesnar's Retirement Make Him 'The Ultimate Quitter'? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Lesnar vs Overeem Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Told Dana White He Might Have A Broken Rib - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 141 Results Video: Nate Diaz Vs. Donald Cerrone Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results Video: Brock Lesnar Vs. Alistair Overeem Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Officially Retires Follow Alistair Overeem Loss - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Retires Brock Lesnar In UFC Debut - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 117: UFC 141 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 141 Post-Fight Press Conference Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 141 Results: Nate Diaz Brutalizes Donald Cerrone To A Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Johny Hendricks Knocks Out Jon Fitch In The First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alexander Gustafsson Knocks Out Vladimir Matyushenko In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jimy Hettes Dominates Nam Phan to a Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Ross Pearson Victorious Over Junior Assuncao In Featherweight Debut - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Danny Castillo Earns Split Decision Over Anthony Njokuani - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Dong Hyun Kim Defeats Sean Pierson by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jacob Volkmann Defeats Efrain Escudero by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Diego Nunes Wins A Unanimous Decision Over Manny Gamburyan - Matthew Roth