UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem ended with a fury as UFC newcomer Alistair Overeem stopped former UFC Heavyweight champion Brock Lesnar at 2:26 of round 1. With the win, Overeem becomes the new #1 contender to Junior dos Santos and the UFC Heavyweight title, and dos Santos was brought in to the cage to make the bout official.
But as big as the news of Overeem vs. dos Santos is, it has been overshadowed by the other post-fight announcement: the retirement of Brock Lesnar. The former champion stated after the fight that this was his last time in the Octagon, adding that had he won, he would have challenged dos Santos for the belt, then left the sport after that fight. Lesnar retires with a record of 5-3, with all but 1 of those fights taking place in the UFC. Of those 8 fights, 6 came against the very highest level of Heavyweight opponents. There will be much more coverage of Lesnar's legacy, but for now, it's safe to say he will go down as both a former UFC Heavyweight champion, and the biggest draw of the company's near 20 year history.
What was the high spot of this fight?
Overeem's body work with knees was nasty, culminating in that final kick. That's the kind of striking K-1 fans knew he was capable of.
Where do these guys go from here?
For both, the path is clear. Overeem next faces Junior dos Santos for the UFC Heavyweight title. That fight should be a great one - a fascinating clash of strikers. Hopefully Reem's win here gave him the needed boost in visibility to make that fight the big seller it deserves to be.
For Brock, next up is likely The Undertaker at WrestleMania. It may not happen this year, but a return to his roots in pro wrestling and Vince McMahon's WWE seems inevitable. I don't see him returning full-time, but I imagine there will be at least a small handful of Brock wrestling matches in our future.
Watch it now, later or never?
Now. Maybe not the most technically great fight ever, but it's the retirement of the biggest star in the sport, and the arrival of a new mega-star. It needs to be seen.
More Bloody Elbow coverage of UFC 141 in the full entry.
- UFC 141: Full Video of Post-Fight Press Conference - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar's Performance 'Surprised' Champ Junior dos Santos - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Predicted Liver Kick Finish - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Does Brock Lesnar's Retirement Make Him 'The Ultimate Quitter'? - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Lesnar vs Overeem Results: Winners, Losers, and Other Thoughts - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Told Dana White He Might Have A Broken Rib - Anton Tabuena
- UFC 141 Results Video: Nate Diaz Vs. Donald Cerrone Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results Video: Brock Lesnar Vs. Alistair Overeem Highlights - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141: Lesnar vs. Overeem Results and Post-Fight Analysis - Brent Brookhouse
- UFC 141 Results: Brock Lesnar Officially Retires Follow Alistair Overeem Loss - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alistair Overeem Retires Brock Lesnar In UFC Debut - Matthew Roth
- Bad Boy Presents Bloody Elbow Radio - Episode 117: UFC 141 Results Review - Matt Bishop
- UFC 141 Post-Fight Press Conference Coverage - Tim Burke
- UFC 141 Results: Nate Diaz Brutalizes Donald Cerrone To A Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Johny Hendricks Knocks Out Jon Fitch In The First - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Alexander Gustafsson Knocks Out Vladimir Matyushenko In The First Round - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jimy Hettes Dominates Nam Phan to a Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Ross Pearson Victorious Over Junior Assuncao In Featherweight Debut - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Danny Castillo Earns Split Decision Over Anthony Njokuani - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Dong Hyun Kim Defeats Sean Pierson by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Jacob Volkmann Defeats Efrain Escudero by Unanimous Decision - Matthew Roth
- UFC 141 Results: Diego Nunes Wins A Unanimous Decision Over Manny Gamburyan - Matthew Roth