Unfortunately, this is the first weekend in months where I'll have to split my allegiances. College Football, NOW WITH 100% LESS TERRELLE PRYOR, is back. College ball will always have a major, major part of my sports heart. I used to write about college football and the NFL draft for a living, so it's like sitting in your favorite chair. However, I'll still try to catch as much fighting as possible, but will be happy to talk a little CFB whenever and wherever.
On with it!
Friday September 2
12:30am MMAthletics (FSN)
3:00am Al Lewis vs. Muhammad Ali (ESPN Classic)
4:00am Louis Veader vs. Micky Ward (ESPN Classic)
5:00am George Foreman vs. Gregorio Peralta (ESPN Classic)
9:30am Derrick Findley vs. Fernando Guerrero (ESPN3D)
10:30am Faceoff with Max Kellerman: Mayweather vs. Ortiz (HBO)
3:15pm Antony Dirrell vs. Kevin Engel (ESPN3D)
7:45pm Mark Jason Melligen vs. Sebastian Lujan (ESPN3D)
8:30pm 24/7 Mayweather vs. Ortiz (HBO2)
9:00pm Inside MMA w/Rulon Gardner, Cub Swanson, Ben Henderson (HDNet)
9:00pm Muay Thai Premier League: Stars and Stripes (Gofightlive $24.99)
10:00pm Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum undercard (HDNet)
11:30pm Best of MFC 25 (HDNet)
11:45pm 24/7 Mayweather vs. Ortiz (HBO)
Saturday September 3
12:00am Inside MMA w/Rulon Gardner, Cub Swanson, Ben Henderson (HDNet)
12:00am Alejandro Lopez vs. Teon Kennedy (FSN)
1:00am Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum undercard (HDNet)
2:30am Best of MFC 25 (HDNet)
3:00am Inside MMA w/Rulon Gardner, Cub Swanson, Ben Henderson (HDNet)
4:00am Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum undercard (HDNet)
5:30am Best of MFC 25 (HDNet)
7:00am OneFC: Champion vs. Champion (Sherdog)
9:45am Francisco Sierra vs. Jesus Gonzalez (ESPN3D)
10:45am 24/7 Mayweather vs. Ortiz (HBO)
4:00pm Strikeforce: Overeem vs. Werdum undercard (HDNet)
5:30pm Inside MMA w/Rulon Gardner, Cub Swanson, Ben Henderson (HDNet)
6:00pm Evolution Fighting Championship 7 (Gofightlive $9.99)
9:45pm Ring Life: Floyd Mayweather and Victor Ortiz (HBO)
10:00pm Colloseo Championship Fighting 6: Bushido ($15 Ustream)
10:00pm 24/7 Mayweather vs. Ortiz (HBO)
10:30pm Andre Berto vs. Jan Zaveck/Aaron Pryor Jr. vs. Thomas Oosthuizen (HBO)
10:30pm Strikeforce Challengers: Woodley vs. Bears (Showtime Extreme)
Sunday September 4
12:30am 24/7 Mayweather vs. Ortiz (HBO)
3:30am Ring Life: Floyd Mayweather and Victor Ortiz (HBO)
8:30am 24/7 Mayweather vs. Ortiz (HBO)
9:00am Andre Berto vs. Jan Zaveck/Aaron Pryor Jr. vs. Thomas Oosthuizen (HBO)
5:30pm MMAthletics w/Brendan Schaub (FSN)
5:45pm Andre Berto vs. Jan Zaveck/Aaron Pryor Jr. vs. Thomas Oosthuizen (HBO2)
6:30pm MMA Live (ESPN Mobile)
7:00pm Legend Fighting Championship 3/4 (Fuel TV)
8:00pm Legend Fighting Championship 3/4 (Fuel TV)
9:00pm Legend Fighting Championship 2/4 (Fuel TV)
10:00pm Legend Fighting Championship 2/3 (Fuel TV)
10:30pm Andre Ward vs. Allan Green (Showtime Extreme)
11:45pm 24/7 Mayweather vs. Ortiz (HBO)
Under the Radar: Names that aren't on American broadcasted shows this week.
Vic Darchinyan vs. Evans Mbamba (September 3, Karen Demirchyan Sports and Concerts Complex, Yerevan, Armenia)
Humberto Soto vs. Jose Alfaro (September 3, Estadio Centenario, Los Mochis, Mexico)
Marco Antonio Rubio vs. Mohammed Akrong (September 3, Centro de Convenciones, San Luis Potosi, Mexico)
Katsuya Inoue vs. Naoyuki Kotani (Pancrase Impressive Tour 9, September 4, Differ Ariake, Tokyo, Japan)
Hector Lombard vs. Jesse Taylor (Australian Fighting Championship 2, September 3, Melbourne Sports and Aquatic Centre, Melbourne, Australia)
Best Viewing Options: Someone who unfortunately took Tim Hightower in the fourth round of his fantasy draft attempts to tell you how to spend your time.
1. OneFC: Rise and shine campers! I, myself, will be up and at 'em, cooking, drinking bloody marys, and tailgaiting in my living room for the triumphant return of college football, now with 68% more corruption! Let's see if the the finished product comes close to the hype. With Sherdog at the helm, it doesn't look good.
2. Andre Berto vs. Jan Zaveck: The Berto war wagon was derailed by Ortiz some months back in a rather large upset at the time. Coming to you from the bustling metropolis of Biloxi, Mississippi, Zaveck is a pretty game fighter that's flown under the radar. Uninspiring undercard, however. Pryor is still making a name because of his father, a much-less obnoxious Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., if you will. Oosthuizen is solid, but not my cup of Earl Grey.
3. 24/7: Sure, it won't come CLOSE to the Penguins-Capitals 24/7, but HBO's behind-the-scenes extravaganza always, ahem, packs a punch? Yuck.
4. Muay Thai Premiere League: Being billed as the biggest Muay Thai event ever, featuring fighters such as Buakaw Por Pramuk, Warren Stevelmans, Baxter Humby, and Zidov Domenik amongst others. MTPL is scheduled for a ten-month "season", with this being the inaugural event. 12 fights, male and female. It definitely looks great, the production looks really nice, but damn, 25 bucks? I'm going to have to talk myself into this.
5. Inside MMA: Weekly required viewing.
6. Colloseo Championship Fighting: Pushed back from July due to incorrect paperwork, this is the infamous "Pride rules" Bushido card. However, now without Falcao, Mandingo, and a few others, it's not as stacked as before. Buy at your own risk. Trainwreck alert is currently red.
7. Faceoff with Max Kellerman: Manufactured fireworks!
8. Evolution Fighting Championship: Pushed back from last week due to Hurricane Irene. Another slim week in combat sports means another week I'm holding my finger over the touchpad of a "Buy Now!" button with my debit card out, sweating profusely.
9. Best of MFC 25: Mark Pavelich really wants you to watch this. Notice the slick production value! The talented fighters, the lively crowd, the professi...no, not interested in buying? Ok, nevermind.
10. MMAthletics w/Brendan Schaub: Schadenfreude is a powerful thing, my friends.
BV Loses You Money: Thank the wager-lords that there aren't (m)any wagers this weekend. My debit card is still passed out.
Last Weekend's Hangover:
If you put down $100 on each of my predictions last week, you'd have today:
BV Lost You: $100!
On the Year: -$270
N/A you lucky devils!
Your YouTube Finale: A man who is currently watching the music video for Whitetown's "I Could Never Be Your Woman" attempts to stifle your laughter with a moving picture.
In honor of college ball returning this weekend, I present to you, what I feel is the greatest sports intro to any sporting event ever.
#1 FSU vs. #2 Notre Dame Intro - 1993 (via RocketShark)