The final bout of the Facebook card was a fight that was supposed to make the Spike TV broadcast, but was switched out at the last second. One fighter is a member of an elite force of Brazilian Military Police called BOPE. The other is some dude named David. Paulo Thiago (13-3, 3-3 UFC) will face off in a welterweight battle with David Mitchell (11-1, 0-0 UFC).
Thiago is currently ranked as the 18th best welterweight in the world according to the USA Today/BE Consensus Rankings. Mitchell is unranked at this time, but would likely be sniffing at the top 25 with a victory. This welterweight fight will take place on the preliminary card, which will be streamed live on Facebook. The Facebook stream begins at 6 p.m. ET/3 p.m. PT.
How do these two stack up?
Thiago: 30 years old | 5'11" | 74.5" reach
Mitchell: 31 years old | 6'0" | 76" reach
What have these two done recently?
How did these two get here?
Paulo Thiago won his first 10 fights in Brazil before he was called up to the big time. People thought he was being thrown to the wolves when he faced top welterweight Josh Koscheck in his UFC debut at UFC 95, but he managed to win by TKO and earn a ton of recognition overnight. Things didn't get any easier when he was lined up to face # 2-ranked Jon Fitch at UFC 100. He lost a decision, but earned even more respect in the process. He won his next two against Jacob Volkmann and Mike Swick, but has dropped two in a row and could be in danger of losing his job. Seriously though, no one has faced the kind of schedule Paulo Thiago has in his first six fights in the UFC...ever. Despite the 3-3 record, he's for real. Throw in all that BOPE stuff and you have one scary individual.
David "Daudi" Mitchell isn't going to earn as many sentences as our favorite military police officer above, but he's no slouch. The Cali native earned his keep with 11 straight wins in CFFC and Tachi Palace Fights before getting the call up to the UFC. He dropped a unanimous decision to T.J. Waldburger in his UFC debut at UFN 22. He faces a hero in his home country in his second fight in the UFC, so his word's cut out for him a bit. He's also a submission specialist that's facing a BJJ black belt. Sorry David.
Why should you care?
Paulo Thiago is always entertaining, and the UFC must have high hopes for Mitchell by scheduling him for a fight with Swick, then Thiago. I'm sure they're not happy that their fight was taken off of Spike, but it should be good either way.
More UFC 134 Previews from Bloody Elbow after the jump.
- Bloody Elbow Staff Predictions for UFC 134
- Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami Preview - Leland Roling
- Anderson Silva vs. Yushin Okami 1 Fight Video - Mike Fagan
- Mauricio 'Shogun' Rua vs. Forrest Griffin Preview - Leland Roling
- Brendan Schaub vs. Antonio Rodrigo Nogueira Dissection - Dallas Winston
- Ross Pearson vs Edson Barboza Dissection - Dallas Winston
- Luiz Cane vs. Stanislav Nedkov Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 134 Celebrity Picks - Cove Reber vs. Natasha Wicks
- Spike TV Preliminary Card Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 134: Rio - Facebook Preliminary Card Dissection - Dallas Winston
- UFC 134: Weigh-In Video Highlights