Mark Nolan - Getty ImagesMore photos »
6 months ago: SYDNEY AUSTRALIA - FEBRUARY 22: Chris Lytle (R) does some glove work during an Open Workout ahead of UFC Sydney 127 at Star City on February 22 2011 in Sydney Australia. (Photo by Mark Nolan/Getty Images)
- I don't think, after last night's prelims, that anyone will be complaining about the continued presence of Jason Reinhardt or Alex Cacares on the UFC's roster. Both were handily defeated for the second straight time, both in the second round, and neither should be around after the round of cuts for this event are announced.
- While the "Volkmann for President" t-shirt probably won't be catching on anytime soon (on The MMA Hour this week, Volkmann revealed that he was unaware of the death of Saddam Hussein, telling Ariel Helwani that he was confusing the former Iraqi dictator with Osama bin Laden. Well done, Bush administration's campaign of misleading propaganda!), Christmas still dominated Danny Castillo en route to a UD victory. Jacob consistently threatened Castillo with subs while showing that not EVERY WEC lightweight was/is amazing (more on this later).
- While it appears that Donald Cerrone has bigger fish to fry, Cole Miller should still look into making 145.
- I was really, really wrong about Karlos Vemola. Ronny Markes made his wrestling look Czech and my prediction for the fight look foolish. As a sop to those of you that don't enjoy me talking about picks all of the time, I'll leave that discussion here - I went 10-2, with my misses being Vemola and that one on the main card that everyone and their sister messed up.
- You can't not root for Ed Herman after the injuries that he's had and the layoff they contributed to. The time off has apparently done wonders for his submission game, as he relentlessly attacked Kyle "Good Thing I'm Australian" Noke until eventually sinking an inverted heel hook during the first frame. Impressive performance, looking forward to seeing him again, war Colorado.
- I tweeted Dana as Joseph Benavidez vs Eddie Wineland was introduced by Mike Goldberg as "the former champion against who many say could be the next champion." You just can't bill a fight that way and then simultaneously argue that it should have been on the prelims. Fun scrap that should've been on TV.
- I'm seriously considering sending Jared Hamman a fruit basket in exchange for annihilating CB Dollaway.
Below the fold (no really, there's a fold this time), the main card, gushing about Donald Cerrone and paying insufficient tribute to Chris Lytle (while mocking the blatant hypocrisy of Dan Hardy).