Tito Ortiz rescued his career from the brink of extinction with a shocking guillotine choke victory over Ryan Bader at UFC 132. The finish earned Submission of the Night honors in this Light Heavyweight contest on the UFC 132 PPV card.
What was the high spot of this fight?
The guillotine was great, as was the surprising punch that set it up, but in all honesty the highlight was probably Tito's post-fight celebration. It's been a long time since we saw him dig the grave and jump up on the cage, and the very visible emotion in Ortiz's celebration made it a truly special moment.
Where do these guys go from here?
Well, this is the tricky thing. Because while it was a great win, this doesn't suddenly make Ortiz a real contender at 205. He seems better suited for the Rich Franklin legends circuit. Not coincidentally, Rich Franklin would make a fine future opponent for Tito. The other option? Move up to catchweight and fight Matt Mitrione. It's a fight that doesn't add much to either man's career, but Tito is a smart promoter, and he knows that's a fight that can draw interest.
Bader went from 12-0 future title challenger to 2 fight losing streak very quickly, and now is going to have to work hard to regain his footing. His next fight will find him firmly in the midcard, perhaps against fellow Ultimate Fighter 8 alum Krzysztof Soszynski?
Watch it now, later, or never?
Now. Love him or hate him, Tito Ortiz is one of the sport's legends, and this is his finest hour in years.
More BE coverage of UFC 132 in the full enty.
- Live Results and Play-By-Play - Brent Brookhouse
- Post-Fight Recap and Analysis - Mike Fagan
- Chris Leben and the Middleweight Title Picture - Fraser Coffeen
- The Day MMA Won The Combat Sports War - Josh Nason
- Why the Bantamweight Division Needs Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber 3 - Fraser Coffeen
- Bloody Elbow Radio UFC 132 Review
- Dominick Cruz Defeats Urijah Faber By Decision - Josh Nason
- Post-Fight Press Conference Video
- Chris Leben Knocks Out Wanderlei Silva In 27 Seconds - Josh Nason
- Tito Ortiz Fends Off Retirement - Matt Bishop
- Tito Ortiz vs. Ryan Bader Fight Video Highlights - ESPN
- Tito Ortiz Submits Ryan Bader In The First Round - Josh Nason
- Dennis Siver Defeats Matt Wiman By Close Decision - Josh Nason
- Carlos Condit Knocks Out Dong Hyun Kim In The First Round - Josh Nason
- Melvin Guillard Knocks Out Shane Roller In First Round - Josh Nason
- Rafael dos Anjos Knocks Out George Sotiropoulos In 59 Seconds - Josh Nason
- Brian Bowles Defeats Takeya Mizugaki by Unanimous Decision - Leland Roling
- Anthony Njokuani Dominates Andre Winner - Leland Roling
- Aaron Simpson Puts Brad Tavares Through the Grinder - Leland Roling
- Jeff Hougland Showcases Diverse Skills, Decisions Donny Walker - Leland Roling