Photo by Scott Petersen via MMA Weekly.
Middleweight Aaron Simpson took a unanimous decision (30-27 x 3) over Brad Tavares at UFC 132. The fight was much closer than the scorecards indicated as Tavares stunned Simpson with punches multiple times and scored a dramatic slam dunk take down on Simpson but Simpson controlled position for most of the fight and quickly bounced back when he got hurt.
What was the high spot of this fight?
Tavares landed most of the highlight reel punches and even the most dramatic take down of the fight, but it was Simpson's ability to immediately recover and regain control of his opponent that really impressed.
Where do these guys go from here?
Simpson has now won 2 straight, putting his 2 fight losing streak behind him. He'll likely face someone higher up in the middleweight pecking order next time out. As a 36 year old who's lost to every top-tier middleweight he's faced, his prospects of making a title run are pretty limited but never say never with an athlete as skilled and gritty as Aaron Simpson.
Tavares falls to 1-1 in the UFC and as a veteran of The Ultimate Fighter reality show he'll get another shot or two with the promotion.
Watch it now, later, or never?
There is a lot of good action in this fight but it's not a must see. If the flurry of one round bouts at UFC 132 leaves you with 15 minutes of extra viewing time, I'd go with Njokuani vs Winner first and watch this if you've got an extra 30 minutes.
More BE coverage of UFC 132 after the jump.
- Chris Leben and the Middleweight Title Picture - Fraser Coffeen
- Post-Fight Recap and Analysis - Mike Fagan
- The Day MMA Won The Combat Sports War - Josh Nason
- Why the Bantamweight Division Needs Dominick Cruz vs. Urijah Faber 3 - Fraser Coffeen
- Bloody Elbow Radio UFC 132 Review
- Dominick Cruz Defeats Urijah Faber By Decision - Josh Nason
- Post-Fight Press Conference Video
- Chris Leben Knocks Out Wanderlei Silva In 27 Seconds - Josh Nason
- Tito Ortiz Fends Off Retirement - Matt Bishop
- Tito Ortiz vs. Ryan Bader Fight Video Highlights - ESPN
- Tito Ortiz Submits Ryan Bader In The First Round - Josh Nason
- Dennis Siver Defeats Matt Wiman By Close Decision - Josh Nason
- Carlos Condit Knocks Out Dong Hyun Kim In The First Round - Josh Nason
- Melvin Guillard Knocks Out Shane Roller In First Round - Josh Nason
- Rafael dos Anjos Knocks Out George Sotiropoulos In 59 Seconds - Josh Nason
- Brian Bowles Defeats Takeya Mizugaki by Unanimous Decision - Leland Roling
- Anthony Njokuani Dominates Andre Winner - Leland Roling
- Aaron Simpson Puts Brad Tavares Through the Grinder - Leland Roling
- Jeff Hougland Showcases Diverse Skills, Decisions Donny Walker - Leland Roling